55 Gal - Help me pick my 1st tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rnanfito

Aquarium Advice Newbie
55 Gal - Help me pick my 1st tankmates
I have a 55 gal tank cycling now. I would like to have fish and some inverts. Looking to buy livestock soon. Please comment on compatability of this list. I DON'T plan to buy them all and cram them in there, just looking for a good combination of these. I picked them for looks - not whether they get along. Also, for the list you recommend, in what order should they be added? I value your expertise, and comments most appreciated!!!

Oscillaris Clown
Yellow Tang
Purple Pseudochromis
Orange Diamond Sleeper Goby
Pajama Cardinal or Bangii Cardinal
Longnose Hawkfish
Orange Linkia Star
Arrow Crab
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (2)
Scarlet Leg Hermits (how many?)
BumbleBee Snail (how many?)
Cortez Cerith Snail (looking for a sand sifter - how many?)

2 true perculas
3 cleaner shrimp
10 blue leg hermits
6 troghius(sp) snails
1 coral beauty or flame angle
1 mandrin when your tank is fully mature
serpant star fish

First, the psuedochromis is fairly aggressive, and he will tear the cardinals up. IMO you should just check on people's experiences with some of these, and look up some more and make a decision that you are completely satisfied with. Down the road, it's painful to have to try to take a fish back to the LFS because you want a new fish that is not compatible. It already sounds like you are doing your homework, so Kudos to you!!!

FWIW, in that aquarium, you should top out at about 11" total of fish, not counting the tail fin.

Now, here's my personal opinion:
1.) The goby is really sweet. If you put a good size conch shell (5-6"), he will dig a tunnel under it and use it for a home. At night, he'll close up the hole with sand. Its really amusing to watch them grab a snail or crab in their mouth and carry them out of the cave.
2.) Either cardinal would be a nice addition. I have a pajama, and he is the sweetest little thing. They don't, IMO, have the most fun personality, but they are adorable. The bangaii's are prettier than the PJ's, in my opinion.
3.) Yellow tangs are pretty neat. You'll have to feed it greens. I personally would rather have like a Powder Blue, Atlantic Blue, or maybe a Blonde Naso Tang.
4.) I can't help with the Hawkfish. A have a reef, so my mantra is No Fish With Air/Land Animal Names (i.e. Hawkfish, Batfish, Cowfish, Lionfish, Hogfish, Squrrelfish, etc.) I'm not sure if this is a bonafide rule, but I feel like it is.
Orange Linkia Star
Arrow Crab
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (2)
Scarlet Leg Hermits (how many?)
BumbleBee Snail (how many?)
Cortez Cerith Snail (looking for a sand sifter - how many?)

This all depends on how much LR you are planning on. The shrimp need places to hide, and your crabs will want places to hide when they molt and such. So, If you are going to have a a descent amount of LR, I would say go for all of the inverts that you listed. I have about 25 bumblebees, and about 12 ceriths. The hermits are whatever you like. Too many can be a problem sometimes, but a few are fun. The scarlet is a good choice, because I think they will be large enough to not have to hunt the snails for their shells, provided you add some that they can grow into.

HTH. Good luck!! And don't forget to report back on what you chose. ;p

You may want to check out the fridamani psuedochromis. They have a better disposition. They have tank raised ones at live aquaria.com

skip the tang. they need more swimming space that a 55. the biggest fish i would get would be a coral beauty or a flame angel, but not until the tank has matured a bit

Thanks to all for the advice! Also, Michel, thanks for the tip on the compatability chart. Very handy.

I'll continue to take advice. When my tank's done cycling, I'll report my purchases as I go.

Back
Top Bottom