Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Mostly have everything I need to start my tank. Test kits, refractometer, I decided on sand also from MarcoRock. Still need lights gonna do Taotronics I believe.
I also picked a book up from lfs, a simple guide to marine aquariums, by Jeff Kurtz. Pretty good easy read informative. In it he mentions a plenum setup briefly to control for nitrates. I have been looking for more info on this, found garf.org. Does anyone run this setup? Seems very easy to setup just some PVC pipe and fiberglass door screen. Thoughts?

Old 08-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #12

Have been breaking up some of my rock recently and stacking it to see what looks good, below is a picture of what I have came up with so far. Also have 80 lbs of marco sand to go in, 40 lbs of coarse and fine, should give me 3" sand bed. My RODI should be here any day now and I can mix up some water and start my cycle. Anyone have a guess on how long it will take being none of my sand or rock is live?
imgur: the simple image sharer

Old 08-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #13

Get some bio zyme (red) and you'll bee good in a month
Old 08-10-2013, 03:37 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Interesting aquascape. I like how it's really open. That rock on the top right is going to shade the area below, leaving less room for corals . Every tank is different, but 6-8 weeks is the average time.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #15

Received my RODI the other day so have been letting that make me some pure water I also mixed up a 5 gal bucket of saltwater to clean my dead rock off in before mortaring it together, pretty much done with that step, looks similar to the pic I posted but I did change it some I'll post another pic a little later. Also in process of rinsing sand, a friend of mine (who has several FW tanks) said to just stick a garden hose in bottom of a bucket pile sand halfway up and turn on hose, would that be appropriate being sand is going to be used in SW tank, how else should I go about it? Hoping to get the setup all done this weekend and start cycling the tank. A couple of raw shrimps dropped in will suffice right?
Also settled on the lights. Reef Breeders LEDs, but I think they sent me wrong ones because I ordered 120* lens and the ones I received don't appear to have any lens.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #16

Starting to get the tank put together, below is a pic, I still have approx. 10 pound of sand I am thinking on adding to compensate for it being packed down. Rock is all mortared in place as seen. Right now I have about 25 gal of salt mixing in a Rubbermaid that my RODI drains into, probably add it when I get home after adding last bit of sand.
imgur: the simple image sharer
Old 08-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #17

Just thought of another question I had regarding my filter/skimmer. The filter has 3 baskets for media, included with it were a mechanical media on top (just a couple thin white pads), 2nd basket was filled with bio-balls, and 3rd had these glass ball things with a carbon pillow (that's what manu called it) topping off bottom basket. Now with roughly 70lbs of live rock would I be correct in assuming I can completely ditch the bio balls? And if so what should I replace them with, activated carbon? Also the glass ball things do I use those or replace them?
Thanks!

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com