Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-20-2018, 07:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
eatsomepopcorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 278
The amount of live rock depends on fish adult size as you want to give them room to swim. You can cut down on rock as you step up your filtration. 1 lb per gallon fills up a tank fast, but if you have small fish that should be fine.


Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
eatsomepopcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:15 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Elude82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 322
With a 55 gallon, and on a budget, I would avoid any aggressive fish and do at the most semi-aggressive.
If I was stocking another 55 again, I would do:
1. Clown(false ocellaris) with an Anemone
2. A Sand Sifting Goby(options very wide) maybe a Pink Spotted or Dragon Goby
3. A Tang (Scopas/Tomini/Kole)
4. Coral Beauty Angel(easy to care for)
5. Falco Hawkfish(these have great personalities, and typically are like Huma Triggerfish, as they are like Saltwater dogs)
With the Goby and Tang they should be a very productive clean-up crew.
And yes, these 5 will max out your tank.
Flipside, they are all around $20-$25.
__________________

__________________
Elude82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Elude82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 322
As for equipment, yes I would eventually get rid of the canister filter. In the mean time, ensure you are not using a glass life for your tank.
Skimmer, definitely a HOB Reef Octopus. The classic with the motor outside is prefect.
A powerhead, will be a must as a Canister filter will not be producing enough GPH flow.
Sand, I would only do two bags of live sand.
Rocks, I would start out with 40 lbs and add more if needed, or as the fish grow.
Best advice:
1. 5 gallon water change weekly.
2. Do not add all these fish at once.
3. Acclimate then with the lights off.
4. Buy Turbo Start from Fritz Zyme
5. Buy live sand
6. Know how much money this is all going to cost you. The minimal is always cheaper than the list of other things you need to properly take care of your tank.
For a 55 tank, you will end up spending roughly $725(not including tank/stand/live rock/sand).
Sump/filter-$200, HOB Skimmer-$200, ATO-$150, Powerhead-$50, LED Light-$100, , Mag Float-$25,
__________________
Elude82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Midwest
Posts: 13
Thanks for the replies everyone. Ive been doing some more research. And im looking at doing a sump. With 4 sections 1st section my drains (2- 1inch drains) will dump into a filter sock which will be in my skimmer section. It will then go through a series of baffles containg a rack that can house anything i may need (carbon, media etc) which will over flow into my 3rd section being a refugium. Then on to my return pump (1200 gph with 2-3\4 return lines)? The only thing is would this be enough filtration?


Also planing on having 2-4 250 gph powerheads to help pick up dead spots
__________________
N2theUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Midwest
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elude82 View Post
With a 55 gallon, and on a budget, I would avoid any aggressive fish and do at the most semi-aggressive.
If I was stocking another 55 again, I would do:
1. Clown(false ocellaris) with an Anemone
2. A Sand Sifting Goby(options very wide) maybe a Pink Spotted or Dragon Goby
3. A Tang (Scopas/Tomini/Kole)
4. Coral Beauty Angel(easy to care for)
5. Falco Hawkfish(these have great personalities, and typically are like Huma Triggerfish, as they are like Saltwater dogs)
With the Goby and Tang they should be a very productive clean-up crew.
And yes, these 5 will max out your tank.
Flipside, they are all around $20-$25.
Where are you seeing the tangs for that price? Just curious.
__________________
N2theUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:10 PM   #16
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,211
One can keep one of the beistletooth tangs in a tank of this size, I did for some time, but it will have issues with a dwarf angel like a coral beauty. Iíd pick one or the other.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:53 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Midwest
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
One can keep one of the beistletooth tangs in a tank of this size, I did for some time, but it will have issues with a dwarf angel like a coral beauty. Iíd pick one or the other.
Not really leaning towards a tang was just curious as the few sites ive seen have them for 30-50$
__________________
N2theUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:12 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,351
I see koles and Tominis from $30-50 depending on store or site as well. Honestly stocking wise Iíd go with a dwarf angel as well but be careful as they can nip corals. Iíve gotten lucky with my potters angel in my 40 as he doesnít touch anything. Iíve had nothing but horrible experiences with Falco hawks...between beating up other fish and trying to kill every invert I owned I went with a flame instead and he was great until he jumped . But idk man falcos from my experience are little devil fish
__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Midwest
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
I see koles and Tominis from $30-50 depending on store or site as well. Honestly stocking wise Iíd go with a dwarf angel as well but be careful as they can nip corals. Iíve gotten lucky with my potters angel in my 40 as he doesnít touch anything. Iíve had nothing but horrible experiences with Falco hawks...between beating up other fish and trying to kill every invert I owned I went with a flame instead and he was great until he jumped . But idk man falcos from my experience are little devil fish
I keep going back and fourth haha i cant decide. However im still aways away from making that decision. Hopefully this week i will begin on drilling my tank and buulding the sump.
__________________
N2theUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:21 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,351
Yeah youíve got time haha. Gotta get all the other equipment and setup done.
__________________

__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sunrise/Sunset/Moonlight setup for non-LED setup? Fishmutt Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 2 06-29-2012 10:48 AM
55 gal filter setup & CO2 setup Codefox Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 8 01-10-2006 09:59 AM
newbie....7 gal SW bow tank setup. help~!!! Mr2KiEu Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 3 07-23-2003 08:18 PM
10 gal. Planted Goldfish for sale (complete setup or parts) ConanTheLibraia Archive 6 06-01-2003 09:22 PM
Can I setup a 30 gal long without live rock? skip_16157 Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 11 03-31-2003 10:48 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.