Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2018, 08:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

55 gal setup

First off hello and thanks in advance for the help.

I am looking at setting up my first sw tank. It will be a 55 gal FOWLR. Im planning on using roughly 60 pounds of sand. Is live or dry better than the other, i know some pros and cons but any help in this area is appreciated same goes for rock (live or dry)? Also whats a round lb rule of thumb on rock (ie. 1 lb per 1 gal). As far ad filtration goes ultamitly i would like to go with a cannister but for now i may go with a few hob filters running 500gph of filtration And a skimmer attachment.

As far as stocking goes these are not a must but am leaning heavily towards.

- Tailspot blenny
- Saddle valentini puffer
- A goby (taking any thoughts on this one)

I do like some of the dwarf angles and my kids really want a clown fish so that will probably be another option. But i do have a question about having a CUC with the puffer? Can you have a CUC with a puffer i know its part of their diet but is there any fish that could help?

Again guys anything im missing would be greatly appreciated, so please bring the questions to me aswell!

Old 04-16-2018, 10:03 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Either live or dry, it doesn't really matter one way or another. I used live, but dry is much cheaper. The lbs per gallon rule applies to rock as well as sand.
Canister filters are usually pretty garbage, but can be used if they are cleaned weekly during weekly water changes. A sump would be better for running a skimmer, but if you have to use HOB equipment make sure you do your research on it as they aren't all built equal. You will need good filtration as puffers are quite messy eaters.
You can have a CUC with a puffer, but they can be a pricey snack depending on the puffer.
Even dwarf angels need room. The only ones I would put into a 55 would be either a coral beauty or a flame angel.
With a blenny, puffer, goby, dwarf angel, and a clown would be maxing your tank out.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:45 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Those were all just options as far as fish go not saying im going to get all of them. Im thinking im going to run 1.5"-2" sand bed.

Another question i forgot to ask is about lighting. Again im just planning for a FOWLR tank im looking in the price range of around 70$. Seems to be tons of options but if anyone has any recomendations of products they have had good luck with or like. Also same goes for skimmers.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:15 AM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

If your price range is that low, Iíd suggest saving up for awhile. A decent skimmer can cost double that.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:02 AM   #5

Sorry that was the price range for the lighting. Im just wanting recomendations on skimmers
Old 04-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have a bubble magus NAC 3.5 on my 40 breeder and it puts in some work. Youíd probably want the 5.5 for a 55 though
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2theUnknown View Post
First off hello and thanks in advance for the help.

I am looking at setting up my first sw tank. It will be a 55 gal FOWLR. Im planning on using roughly 60 pounds of sand. Is live or dry better than the other, i know some pros and cons but any help in this area is appreciated same goes for rock (live or dry)? Also whats a round lb rule of thumb on rock (ie. 1 lb per 1 gal). As far ad filtration goes ultamitly i would like to go with a cannister but for now i may go with a few hob filters running 500gph of filtration And a skimmer attachment.

As far as stocking goes these are not a must but am leaning heavily towards.

- Tailspot blenny
- Saddle valentini puffer
- A goby (taking any thoughts on this one)

I do like some of the dwarf angles and my kids really want a clown fish so that will probably be another option. But i do have a question about having a CUC with the puffer? Can you have a CUC with a puffer i know its part of their diet but is there any fish that could help?

Again guys anything im missing would be greatly appreciated, so please bring the questions to me aswell!
60lbs of sand in a 55 is overdoing it unless you are planning on getting a deep burrowing fish. I have 60lbs in my 90 and it is plenty for a Diamond Watchman Goby and Melanurus Wrasse (Wrasse buries itself in the sand at night). You can do a puffer if you are willing to commit to the fact that you will be replacing CUC more frequently. Also be careful as some varieties of puffer can release toxins to kill the life in your tank when stressed. Personally I just find them to be too much of a risk to bother with one. The clown will work, a dwarf angel will be pushing it in a 55 (they need lots of grazing space and are very active), but if you are going to attempt one I would go with a Coral Beauty. Flame Angels tend to be the one that catches people's eyes first and they are pretty but are generally aggressive buggers. I had one in my 36 gallon bowfront for a few weeks and he became an unholy terror. I actually have a vid of him scaring my watchman goby:

Old 04-19-2018, 12:10 AM   #8

Yea im still not 100% on a dwarf. Just looking for a food mixture of fish. Good point on the toxins i do know the valintini puffer can be toxic.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:23 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

The Toby puffers arenít toxic. Not something you have to worry about with them. I have a potters angel in a 40 breeder who does well. No coral nipping since his intro over a year ago. But yeah I agree with the coral beauty recommendation. Pretty easy to keep
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi there fish friend. I have a 55g tank goin on a year old. I have a Aqueon OptiBright Plus LED. I love it. It comes on slow and goes off slow like the sun is rising and setting. You can find it on Amazon for around $90.00.
I also run a Reef Octopus Classic BH90 hang on back protein skimmer. Love it also. It runs around $200. They have another model Reef Octopus Classic 100. Itís around $175.
Also use a canister filter just for added filtration. Tank dose good. No issues.

Tags
setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com