55 gal to 125 gal help on ways to move stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpeff

Aquarium Advice Newbie
have a 55 gal to running with 70# of rock 60# of sand been running for about 8-9 year going to set a 125 gal up but want to set it up wheere the 55 gal is the 55 gal fully stocked with fish and stuff how do i move it so i can set other tank up just drain it move it put same water back in is that fine

I would put fish, coral, inverts whatever in some buckets or tubs. Then drain the water and move the tank out and fill the new one up.

I would probably get new sand and transfer everything else over. you'll need more rock for a bigger tank. Cheap base or "unlive" rock would be fine I would think. Even so be sure to rinse the new rock.

have another 50# of dry rock and 120# of sand that dry got from marocrocks wasnt going to use old sand just rock didnt think i could set the tank up and put fish in same day was going to take water out of 55 gal move it out of way put water and fish back in then set the 125 gal up and take almost all the rock out of 55 gal put in the 125 and let it run for awhile till it test good then put fish and stuff in form the 55 gal

The live rock you already have should have the beneficial bacteria all over it. moving the rock and fish should be fine as long as your not adding more fish and increasing the load at the same time. Obviously I would monitor the water for any spikes for a while after the transfer.

Not saying this is necessarily the
right or best way. Just how I would do it.

have another 50# of dry rock and 120# of sand that dry got from marocrocks wasnt going to use old sand just rock didnt think i could set the tank up and put fish in same day was going to take water out of 55 gal move it out of way put water and fish back in then set the 125 gal up and take almost all the rock out of 55 gal put in the 125 and let it run for awhile till it test good then put fish and stuff in form the 55 gal

Your plan will work just be sure to match the temp and sg. I drip the new water into the holding tanks to avoid any chance of shock to the fish after a 2 hr drip i drop them in the new tank

Back
Top Bottom