So ive decided to turn my 55 gal FW
into SW FOWLR
Ive been reading but when it come right down to it, im not really to sure on the specifics on some things. Here is what i have so far.
* 55 gallon tank currently being used as a FW
with one Rokteil Severum named Donnie that i will be giving away. (He and 2 oscars came with the 55 gallon tank when i bought it. all three had horrible fin rot)
* 2 coralife 18" t8 50/50 bulbs in your average hood/light fixtures.
* 1 large Heater 180 watts i do believe.
* 2 Aquaclear 50's
* 1 Tank im unsure of gallons size, I going to be turning into a sump (bought this on a local trading post website under the impression it was a 40 gallon but when i showed up to pick it up it was way smaller then expected but for the $10 price tag i bought it anyway) Demensions are 30" long x 13" wide x 12" tall
* I also picked up a sheet of 1/4" acrylic and 100% silicone for the sump baffles.
Things I know I need.
* Skimmer (clueless on this one because i have not set up the sump to know size constraints)
* Return Pump
* Overflow box (tempered undrilled tank)
to plum everything.
* Plus i will be building a stand to fit the sump in.
Here's where i am confused.
* For starters. how to set up the sump. do I need bubble traps. Is the tank big enough for a refugium....if i even need a fuge since i have read the benefits are greatly exaggerated. Ive seen all kinds of layouts and confused on what would actually benefit me.
* I know i have to match the Return pump with the overflow box GPH
and tubing. but dont really know how to accommodate for head loss and etc. Also i see a huge price difference on pumps rated at the same GPH
*I see such a huge span between prices of skimmers also . and not really sure if some like the octopus vs and eshopps or coralife super skimmer are even worth the price difference.
Someone point me in the right direction with some equipment recommendations.