55 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boosted_msp

Aquarium Advice Regular
So ive decided to turn my 55 gal FW into SW FOWLR.
Ive been reading but when it come right down to it, im not really to sure on the specifics on some things. Here is what i have so far.

* 55 gallon tank currently being used as a FW with one Rokteil Severum named Donnie that i will be giving away. (He and 2 oscars came with the 55 gallon tank when i bought it. all three had horrible fin rot)
* 2 coralife 18" t8 50/50 bulbs in your average hood/light fixtures.
* 1 large Heater 180 watts i do believe.
* 2 Aquaclear 50's
* 1 Tank im unsure of gallons size, I going to be turning into a sump (bought this on a local trading post website under the impression it was a 40 gallon but when i showed up to pick it up it was way smaller then expected but for the $10 price tag i bought it anyway) Demensions are 30" long x 13" wide x 12" tall
* I also picked up a sheet of 1/4" acrylic and 100% silicone for the sump baffles.

Things I know I need.
* Skimmer (clueless on this one because i have not set up the sump to know size constraints)
* Powerheads
* Return Pump
* Overflow box (tempered undrilled tank)
* PVC to plum everything.
* Plus i will be building a stand to fit the sump in.

Here's where i am confused.
* For starters. how to set up the sump. do I need bubble traps. Is the tank big enough for a refugium....if i even need a fuge since i have read the benefits are greatly exaggerated. Ive seen all kinds of layouts and confused on what would actually benefit me.
* I know i have to match the Return pump with the overflow box GPH and tubing. but dont really know how to accommodate for head loss and etc. Also i see a huge price difference on pumps rated at the same GPH.
*I see such a huge span between prices of skimmers also . and not really sure if some like the octopus vs and eshopps or coralife super skimmer are even worth the price difference.

Someone point me in the right direction with some equipment recommendations.

Looking at putting a Reef Octopus NWB 110 in the same chamber as the inlet, then a bubble trap going into a refugium and then an overflow into the return pump chamber combining the. Does this sound fine to anyone?

So ive decided to turn my 55 gal FW into SW FOWLR.
Ive been reading but when it come right down to it, im not really to sure on the specifics on some things. Here is what i have so far.

* 55 gallon tank currently being used as a FW with one Rokteil Severum named Donnie that i will be giving away. (He and 2 oscars came with the 55 gallon tank when i bought it. all three had horrible fin rot)
* 2 coralife 18" t8 50/50 bulbs in your average hood/light fixtures.
* 1 large Heater 180 watts i do believe.
* 2 Aquaclear 50's
* 1 Tank im unsure of gallons size, I going to be turning into a sump (bought this on a local trading post website under the impression it was a 40 gallon but when i showed up to pick it up it was way smaller then expected but for the $10 price tag i bought it anyway) Demensions are 30" long x 13" wide x 12" tall
* I also picked up a sheet of 1/4" acrylic and 100% silicone for the sump baffles.

Things I know I need.
* Skimmer (clueless on this one because i have not set up the sump to know size constraints)
* Powerheads
* Return Pump
* Overflow box (tempered undrilled tank)
* PVC to plum everything.
* Plus i will be building a stand to fit the sump in.

Here's where i am confused.
* For starters. how to set up the sump. do I need bubble traps. Is the tank big enough for a refugium....if i even need a fuge since i have read the benefits are greatly exaggerated. Ive seen all kinds of layouts and confused on what would actually benefit me.
* I know i have to match the Return pump with the overflow box GPH and tubing. but dont really know how to accommodate for head loss and etc. Also i see a huge price difference on pumps rated at the same GPH.
*I see such a huge span between prices of skimmers also . and not really sure if some like the octopus vs and eshopps or coralife super skimmer are even worth the price difference.

Someone point me in the right direction with some equipment recommendations.

Here's a few things I see. First is your lights. Fine for fish only, no good for corals, but you can upgrade them when you crack and decide on corals.
Sump; if the tank is glass you will eventually have issues with acrylic baffles. Glass silicone doesn't stick to plastic long term and acrylic glue won't adhere to glass. If the sump is glass get glass baffles, it doesn't cost much.
In my sump I only have 2 sections and it works perfect. The main section houses my skimmer, reactor pump then the cheato and finally a stack of rocks. Then a simple over-under baffle to the return section. I've never had an issue with bubbles in my DT. the cheato and rock house the pods I want for my mandarin and capture any bubbles from the skimmer.
Return pump capacity is normally on the packaging box back. A graph for flow vs headhieght. Add 1 ft for every 90 bend in your return plumbing AFTER the pump. Measure from the water level in the return section to the top of youR DT.

Not really going for corals right now but probably will in the future. Probably going to go with an aquatic lifegaurd 2200. 308 gph at a 6ft head ( 4ft with two 90°) has adjustable flow so I can dial it down a bit.

Your sump is a 20 long As for a skimmer you wont need one But it will make life easier (think weekly PWC'S) You may want to keep some macro algae in your sump it will help with trates if you do get a cheap clamp on work light with a CFL bulb. Keep the AC50's you can run carbon GFO Phos ban in them Check the Articles under getting started lots of good info.

My 55 has 2 hydor 750s and 1 hydor 550. I would start out with 2 750s first. They seem to move the water pretty well.

Yesterday I ordered an octopus Nwb 110, the lifeguard 2200 pump and the overflow box. Plus I got the baffles cut and put in the sump. Today ill probably order the powerheads.
The stand will be this weekends project.

Good choice on the nwb 110. I'm currently gettin my equipment ready for my 55 build. Turning my current 20 gallon long into the sump. So we will have basically the same set up. Are you planning on drilling for the return or running it over the top. Not sure if it will really make a difference in head loss one way or the other.

Im going to be running it over the top. My tank is tempered so I didn't think It was able to be drilled.

You are right if it is tempered you can't drill it. I need to take mine to the glass shop to see if it is tempered as I am unsure if it is or not.

^ how to tell if tank is tempered glass. Also I just used a pair of polarized sun glasses and you can see a rainbow pattern in the glass

I've always been told that the bottom piece of glass to aquariums is the tempered piece and that's why the sticker is there and the walls/sides are normal glass.

Tbh it probably wouldn't hurt me to try drilling the back of mine because my tank is scratched pretty bad. If it shattered it would only be a good excuse to get a new one. Lol

Side note I bought the wood for the stand, and got the pieces cut for the frame. Skimmer, and overflow box will be here tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom