Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2005, 03:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Jasonanatal
55 Gallon Fish & Reef Maturing Process

Hello everyone, I have just decided to start a 55 gallon Fish & Reef Aquarium in my living room and was wondering if anyone had any advice on speeding up the maturing process of the tank either naturally or through chemical or culture additives. If anyone has any information or advice on this matter it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-24-2005, 05:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Basic information, 1-1.5#'s of live rock and use a raw cocktail shrimp. This will cycle the tank properly. If the rock is cured, it should cycle faster than uncured. You might also consider a sand bed of live sand.

The cycle time can range from about 3 days to 4 weeks, it just takes time and testing the water to find out when the cycle is complete.

If it's been said once here, it's been said 1,000 times, "Patience, patience, patience". Besides, you need time to study up on the livestock you want and the cycle time is a good time to do that.

Inverts - (2) Peppermint Shrimp, Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, (5) Turbo Snails, (4) Nassarius Snails, (10) Blue Leg Hermits, Emerald Crab, (3) Scarlett Crabs, some small starfish(hitchhikers)

My Aquarium Photos
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Have you had any experience in using Bio-Spira from Marineland?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Jason, nothing in this hobby goes fast. You can try the bio-spira but I would suggest just doing the normal raw shrimp/fishless cycling. It takes a while but it's guaranteed to work. In my experience, there are no short cuts in this hobby. And trying to rush things can cause more problems and be more costly to fix. JMO
Old 10-24-2005, 05:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sounds like a plan Fluff. I'm sorry if I appear to be rushing this I have had the tank sitting their with water for about 3 weeks. Just would like to help it along the way because I wont be adding for for at least 2 months. My pocket is extremely empty. :|
Old 10-24-2005, 05:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do you have any LR in the tank. If so, it maybe has already done a cycle in the 3 week period. The shrimp will help it out plenty. Good luck.
Inverts - (2) Peppermint Shrimp, Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, (5) Turbo Snails, (4) Nassarius Snails, (10) Blue Leg Hermits, Emerald Crab, (3) Scarlett Crabs, some small starfish(hitchhikers)

My Aquarium Photos
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

No just water and sand my pocket it really empty.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just purchard a 1140 Penguin power head that is capable of 300gph do you think I should get 1 more?
Old 10-24-2005, 06:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bio-Spira is garbage. Use the money for some more LR
Old 10-24-2005, 07:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

IMHO adding chemicals for cycling a Reef Tank is like those $400 Golf hats that "teach you how to putt".

What everyone else said, I would save up for some LR, buy that, and add it to the aquarium, add 1/4 piece of shrimp, buy test kits for Ammonia, Nitrites. Then test the water often ( I test every 3 days for the first 4 weeks, others probably do it differently). Once the cycle is complete and both tests are 0ppm it's time for a fish. So research a hardy fish that you want to keep in your aquarium long term.

Best Wishes and remember nothing good in this hobby happens fast.

Mark

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com