55 gallon newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EELectric

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm getting a new 55gal. tank and really want a snowflake eel and a triggerfish. I was wondering if these fish are compatible. If so i also want a clown and lion if possible.Please help. What type of trigger too!

well i am not a trigger or eel expert, but correct mwe if i am wrong triggers are aggessive and bigger than most clowns plus that is way too many fish for a 55 gallo0n in my opinion, i would just get a trigger, i love those little (big ) guys

The Lionfish will eat the clown and the trigger faster than you can say "OH NO!"

8O

But the Lion and the Snowflake eel shoould get along well.

by the way, welcome to AA!

:invasion: :invasion: :invasion: :invasion:

The Lionfish will eat the clown and the trigger faster than you can say "OH NO!"

8O

But the Lion and the Snowflake eel shoould get along well.

by the way, welcome to AA!

:invasion: :invasion: :invasion: :invasion:

thank you guys. Is there anything else i can get with the snowflake and lion, i heard that as long as the fish couldnt fit into their mouths the fish would be ok with them. Ive also seen a small damsel with a small snowflake eel at my LFS. Just wondering if this would be ok.

Whether or not the lion will eat the trigger will depend on several factors.

-The size of the lion
-The size of the trigger
-How often the lion is fed and what other "food" is in the tank.

The eel...you need to be aware that they are the most notorious escape artist in the hobby, 2nd only to octopus. Every single one I have had figured out a way out of my tank, and I took the proper precautions to keep them in.

My suggestion. Skip the eel. Not only are they always looking for a way out, but they are usually hiding too. When you only have 55gallons, you want to have fish that will be visible most of the time. The triggers are a good choice...lions are relatively easy as well. The thing to keep in mind is that they require high protien diets and will be releasing a large amount of waste into the water column.

A puffer would be another good choice depending on its size.

A lionfish is a doog choice because they are fun to watch them eat and very hardy. But like sguishyfish said they are messy eaters and so are a lot of other aggresive fish so I would recomend that you invest in a protein skimmer. Also I don't know if a lionfish and puffer is a dood idea beacuse my friend had a lionfish and a dogface puffer in a 125 gallon tank and the puffer ran into the lionfish and it got poked by one of the lions venomous spines and killed the puffer but that was probably a very rare occasion. A clown trigger would go good with a lionfish I have seen it before together but clown triggers are like $80-100 if you want to spend that much.

SquishyFish said:
The eel...you need to be aware that they are the most notorious escape artist in the hobby, 2nd only to octopus. Every single one I have had figured out a way out of my tank, and I took the proper precautions to keep them in.

What precautions did you take? I'm intrigued by the eels, but I'm kept in check for now by a certain someone in my house who would have nothing to do with something that looks like a snake or spiders for that matter but she likes the crabs in the tank. Go figure.

I plan on having an eggcrate top for my 55.

The main thing I did was keep the glass tops on the tank...It still managed to get out through the gap created by the cords running in and out of the tank. IMO..egg crates would look like a obstacle course to a Marine! A little challenging, but not really a problem.

Not to mention, if you sleep in the same room, then waking up in the middle of the night to an eel crawling across your floor isn't exactly a pleasant sight!

So what are u guys reccomending i really want a snowflake eel and a clown trigger would be nice. Im also most likely getting a excalibur skimmer amd definatly getting a skimmer.
So basically the question is a snowflake eel with either a lionfish or triggerfish with some other additions. Thank You a lot guys!!!

The eel would be fine especially if you are really into eels. Just make sure that you do everything in your power to make escape impossible.

I used to have large tree frogs that would make a run for it everynight. But after analizing all possible escape routes, I was finally able to seal the tank well enough to keep them in with no problems. Eventually they found that they could no longer get out and they gave up. 8)

Back
Top Bottom