Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2004, 09:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

55 gallon newbie

I'm getting a new 55gal. tank and really want a snowflake eel and a triggerfish. I was wondering if these fish are compatible. If so i also want a clown and lion if possible.Please help. What type of trigger too!

Old 06-01-2004, 10:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mhaynes01
well i am not a trigger or eel expert, but correct mwe if i am wrong triggers are aggessive and bigger than most clowns plus that is way too many fish for a 55 gallo0n in my opinion, i would just get a trigger, i love those little (big ) guys

Old 06-01-2004, 10:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
The Lionfish will eat the clown and the trigger faster than you can say "OH NO!"

8O

But the Lion and the Snowflake eel shoould get along well.

by the way, welcome to AA!

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Lionfish will eat the clown and the trigger faster than you can say "OH NO!"

8O

But the Lion and the Snowflake eel shoould get along well.

by the way, welcome to AA!

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Old 06-02-2004, 07:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

thank you guys. Is there anything else i can get with the snowflake and lion, i heard that as long as the fish couldnt fit into their mouths the fish would be ok with them. Ive also seen a small damsel with a small snowflake eel at my LFS. Just wondering if this would be ok.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Whether or not the lion will eat the trigger will depend on several factors.

-The size of the lion
-The size of the trigger
-How often the lion is fed and what other "food" is in the tank.

The eel...you need to be aware that they are the most notorious escape artist in the hobby, 2nd only to octopus. Every single one I have had figured out a way out of my tank, and I took the proper precautions to keep them in.

My suggestion. Skip the eel. Not only are they always looking for a way out, but they are usually hiding too. When you only have 55gallons, you want to have fish that will be visible most of the time. The triggers are a good choice...lions are relatively easy as well. The thing to keep in mind is that they require high protien diets and will be releasing a large amount of waste into the water column.

A puffer would be another good choice depending on its size.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 09:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

just be sure the lion is small when you get him, he will grow quickly.

Old 06-02-2004, 12:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

A lionfish is a doog choice because they are fun to watch them eat and very hardy. But like sguishyfish said they are messy eaters and so are a lot of other aggresive fish so I would recomend that you invest in a protein skimmer. Also I don't know if a lionfish and puffer is a dood idea beacuse my friend had a lionfish and a dogface puffer in a 125 gallon tank and the puffer ran into the lionfish and it got poked by one of the lions venomous spines and killed the puffer but that was probably a very rare occasion. A clown trigger would go good with a lionfish I have seen it before together but clown triggers are like $80-100 if you want to spend that much.
flatzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyFish
The eel...you need to be aware that they are the most notorious escape artist in the hobby, 2nd only to octopus. Every single one I have had figured out a way out of my tank, and I took the proper precautions to keep them in.
What precautions did you take? I'm intrigued by the eels, but I'm kept in check for now by a certain someone in my house who would have nothing to do with something that looks like a snake or spiders for that matter but she likes the crabs in the tank. Go figure.

I plan on having an eggcrate top for my 55.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The main thing I did was keep the glass tops on the tank...It still managed to get out through the gap created by the cords running in and out of the tank. IMO..egg crates would look like a obstacle course to a Marine! A little challenging, but not really a problem.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com