Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

55 Gallon or 120 gallon help me decied

OKs I am ready to purchase my tank? Both the 120 and 55 gallon are used. They both come kitted out so I can get on with my build. This will be my first build. Should I stay with a smaller 55 gallon or go with the 120.
I am concerned that the 120 may be to big for my first build. I am going to be setting up this as reef system.

So please lets hear your suggestions. Remember this will be my very first Saltwater build and I want to do a reef system. Starting with FOWLR then progressing to reefs.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
I look at it this way.. if you have the funds to go with a 120.. go 120.. it will be more forgiving as far as water parameters will go.. more maitenence... but more enjoyable...... if you have about 2-3k to set into a 120.. for a reef tank.. go for it..

Old 03-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree...unless you are a little person...and maintenance means going swimming..lol
Old 03-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copepod View Post
I agree...unless you are a little person...and maintenance means going swimming..lol
:butt:
Old 03-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
Thanx but no.....

Keep in mind that this isn't a cheap hobby. Moving from a 4ft to a 6ft will have a $$ impact on your startup costs (unless they come with everything, lighting/LR/Skimmer/heaters/etc).

While bigger is better from an ongoing maintenance/stability perspective not to mention those that stick with the hobby will generally upgrade to a 6ft tank, the startup costs can be quite dramatic.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
Sliced Bread

If cost isn't an issue, go with the 120. Because, if you don't, after about 6 months you'll be hitting yourself if you dont. But, the price difference for startup costs (if it's not fully complete) will be a big impact.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Many SW fish require 70 to 100 gallon aquariums. Blue and Yellow Tangs for example.

A step ladder is the solution to being a height challenged person.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
Like everyone said go with 120 if cost is not important the more water volume for a reef tank the healthier the reef because your water parameters will not change as quickly. Plus like ezy said more room for bigger fish now i have a yellow tang in my tank yea but its not recomended some say go for it some say its to small everyone has diffrent oppions i think they need 75 but i wanted the fish lol but yea go with the 120 just be prepared to invest alot of money in filling it up with live stock.

special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
120 gallon, 20 gallon, 5 gallon, 55 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com