55 gallon possibly...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocgirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

So I have my 28 gallon hex tank going strong for about a month and half and I want to upgrade already. The only issue I have had is my emerald crab attacks my fish, so he is going to be relocated..The hex is a hard shape and I keep seeing bigger tanks!

I live in a condo and the absolute biggest I could ever go is 55 gallons. So I might as well just buy it! I have a few questions though. My mom is absolutely horrified about having a sump, and she says "no way, no how." She owns the place and I just live by her rules :) but do I have to have a sump with a 55 gallon, and if not, how difficult could things get without one? If a 55 gallon is recommend with a pump, what size tank could I do without?

I am at home all day long due to my illness, and I try to take very good care of my tank and it helps keep me busy.. I have really enjoyed this new hobby. I will have to slowly upgrade my equipment before I even start the tank, but a little at a time, disability money just covers my medical expenses..

Also, is it possible that I can break up the water changes into parts so I don't have to lug around all that water from my LFS at one time?

Thanks for all your help and advice!

No you do nit need a sump for a 55, you will just need to live with all of the things hanging on the back and in your tank. Break up your water changes? You will only need to do around 5 gallons a week. If I were in the same situation I would just get as many 5 gallon jugs you can and bring home a month or two worth of water every time you go to your LFS.

ocgirl said:
Hi everyone,

So I have my 28 gallon hex tank going strong for about a month and half and I want to upgrade already. The only issue I have had is my emerald crab attacks my fish, so he is going to be relocated..The hex is a hard shape and I keep seeing bigger tanks!

I live in a condo and the absolute biggest I could ever go is 55 gallons. So I might as well just buy it! I have a few questions though. My mom is absolutely horrified about having a sump, and she says "no way, no how." She owns the place and I just live by her rules :) but do I have to have a sump with a 55 gallon, and if not, how difficult could things get without one? If a 55 gallon is recommend with a pump, what size tank could I do without?

I am at home all day long due to my illness, and I try to take very good care of my tank and it helps keep me busy.. I have really enjoyed this new hobby. I will have to slowly upgrade my equipment before I even start the tank, but a little at a time, disability money just covers my medical expenses..

Also, is it possible that I can break up the water changes into parts so I don't have to lug around all that water from my LFS at one time?

Thanks for all your help and advice!

If your mom is worried about water spills from having a sump, then there are ways to prevent the possibility of that ever happening. A sump gives so many advantages so if you have the space the a sump is highly suggested.

It is not needed though atleast not on a 55g.

Thanks for the advice:)

Well, I looked up aquarium stands and I found something that will make my mom happy as far as look and storage. So, now I am debating between 55-75 gallon tanks. My dad is going to build this center for me at his house, in four pieces and come here and attach it all together. This is what my mom has now and my dad will build something similar to this.(white center).. The TV is mounted on the wall on the other side.

Now I just have to figure out what size do I want. :fish2:

Attachments

• bookshelf aquarium stand & canopy plans_.jpg
    bookshelf aquarium stand & canopy plans_.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 179
  • bookshelf aquarium stand & canopy plans.jpg
    bookshelf aquarium stand & canopy plans.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 157
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 89
I have a 55 gallon now, and I wish I would of went 75+ More room, more fish, more options. I have no sump. I have HOB filter, working on hob ATO, hob Skimmer. Not noticable to much.

Back
Top Bottom