55 gallon reef - First Saltwater Build Ever!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Long time no update! Internet has been down for over 2 weeks.

I have some new additions!!!

A six-line wrasse. He's an awesome fish, exactly what I was looking for. He actively swims in between all the holes in the rocks, in the open water, does dances. Very pretty fish.

The addition I'm also VERY excited about, a scooter blenny! He's beautiful.. and he also eats everything I have put in the tank so far (frozen mysis, frozen bloodworms, live brine).

I'll get some photos up after my camera has finished charging.

I've just purchased a 4 stage RO/DI unit today, so that should be coming early next week. I'm still having phosphate troubles, but they seem to lower every time I do a water change, so as soon as my RO/DI unit comes I'll do a very large change and try to eradicate the problem.

I am battling green cyano on the sand, as well as still diatoms, though I think it may be the result of the high phosphate levels, and I'm not worried about it until I get my phosphates under control.

Besides that, all other levels are excellent and I've had no issues. The smaller clown is now pretty much as big as the bigger one was.

I've added a nice brown with gold tipped torch coral, as well as nice nice pink/purple zoas. The corals seem to be growing as well. The base rock is now lightly covered in green/brown, which is a good sign. There is no coraline growing anywhere on the base rock yet, or on the glass though.

Will try get these pics up ASAP.

A six-line wrasse. He's an awesome fish, exactly what I was looking for. He actively swims in between all the holes in the rocks, in the open water, does dances. Very pretty fish.

You stole that line from my thread didn't you???? LOL I say the same things about our 6 line. :)

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

You stole that line from my thread didn't you???? LOL I say the same things about our 6 line. :)

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Haha yes they are great fish! Very entertaining.

Super excited, I have another new addition yesterday!!! I have never seen one of these in an LFS in Australia, and the other day one of my favorite LFS had three!!

Midas Blenny!

He's a beautiful yellow colour, and he's definitely not shy. I've been lucky in that regard, all my fish stay put when I move up to the tank. They even show off for me!

The Midas is out free swimming in the open water, and has been for the last couple of hours. He's got a little home where he hangs out sometimes in the rock, but very excited to see him out and about.

I'll get a video update of the tank tonight when the lights are on. You'll have to ignore the green cyano on the sand though! Still lowering my phosphates (I think they are the cause). They are going down :) Down from 1.15 to .53 now. Just need to do a large water change.

Can't wait to see the video. I agree that the phosphates are the cause of the algae problem. 1.15 is pretty high and a good source of food for algae.

Yeah no joke haha.. I have no idea where they came from but they gradually drop with each water change. I've been thinking about the last additions to my tank. I have room for probably 2 more. I'm thinking a Royal Gramma (or a lineatus wrasse) and Kole Tang. I know some will say the Kole Tang is too big for a 50 gallon, but I've had equally as many people tell me theirs has been super happy in their 55g. Not to mention I think they are beautiful!

Thanks guys! Very happy with everything so far, except the algae, but that will pass!

Loving my Midas Blenny :) He was a great find. Always in the free water swimming, haven't seen him hiding in rocks in over a day! I'm thinking of adding a Lineatus Wrasse when they come into my LFS next. The Lineatus is much cheaper here than in the US (only $40-50). I already have my name down for a Royal Gramma, Lineatus Wrasse and Kole Tang there. I'll probably only get two of them.

Quick update.

Finally got around to buying the TWF Phosban Reactor 150. Hopefully this will clean the mess that is covering my sand and drop my .60 phosphates. I really want to make this mostly an SPS tank, but no adding SPS till these phosphates go down.

I have been a little down about the tank recently. My skimmer isn't working anymore. All of a sudden just started filling up with water and I can't figure out why. I blow down the two little tubes on the top of the tubing and water bubbles, so I know that's not blocked.

Sick of looking at this algae, but I'm going to get the tubing and pump needed for the phosban, and some rowaphos tomorrow so hopefully that will be up and running by the weekend and knock down my phosphates.

Fish situation hasn't changed, still waiting on the last few fish I want to come into my LFS. A kole tang, royal gramma and lineatus wrasse. I'm selling the 6-line as he won't stop pestering my scooter.

That being said, the corals I do have in there are still healthy, and I've had no problem with my fish, they are all happy as Larry.

Good news, phosphate is down to .14 now, 2 days after adding the reactor it has dropped from .65. Very happy. Rowaphos is doing its thang!

That being said, cyano is still growing. I think I'll let this phosphate get a little lower (.08 or so) and then do the 3 day lights out routine to see if I can wipe it from my tank. Diatoms are also still all over the shop.

Just had my first fish death.. a carpet surfer :(

Water is perfect, but my Midas Blenny decided to head for the light and instead found its way behind my cabinet overnight.

He was a kool fish, always swimming out and showing out. Real shame. Cost me $55 too..

Sorry for your loss! I'm working on a Midas as my final stick for my tank now...

It's a great fish and I recommend it. I don't see many here in Australia, hence why it was so expensive :(

Guess I better work some type of lid out, as I plan on getting a mccosker's and lineatus wrasse anyway. The cabinet came with a hood, but obviously the LED lighting doesn't fit below it.

I've got a McCoskers wrasse - only had for a few weeks, but it's a great addition to my tank. Always swimming and flashes me anytime I'm near the tank - very nice looking as well.

Yeah, they are hard to get here in Australia too. Never seen one in an LFS, only online and the flat rate postage is $90, so I'm not paying $60 for the fish and then $90 postage. I'll probably be able to get a Lineatus before the Mccoskers. A local LFS is getting a Lineatus in for me.

LFS is getting in a nice shipment of acros on Thursday night for their BBQ night, so hopefully my phosphate is down so I can get my first acro :) Have had to stay away from SPS because of phosphate.

I plan for the tank to be SPS dominated now, with a few LPS about. I measured my Alk today, and got 9.2. This is good yes?

Also really been getting the upgrade itch recently, but my bedroom (where the tank is) is on a second story, and I have no idea how much water I can keep in one area before it goes crashing through the roof onto the pool table the story below lol.

I'm just getting into SPS myself... Going this weekend to get an acro! 9.2 is a good alk reading. My understanding is that 8.5-10 is a good range to shoot for.

Good luck with the new acquisitions.

Back
Top Bottom