Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #191
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks guys! Very happy with everything so far, except the algae, but that will pass!

Old 11-09-2011, 04:48 AM   #192
Aquarium Advice Freak

Loving my Midas Blenny He was a great find. Always in the free water swimming, haven't seen him hiding in rocks in over a day! I'm thinking of adding a Lineatus Wrasse when they come into my LFS next. The Lineatus is much cheaper here than in the US (only $40-50). I already have my name down for a Royal Gramma, Lineatus Wrasse and Kole Tang there. I'll probably only get two of them.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #193
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quick update.

Finally got around to buying the TWF Phosban Reactor 150. Hopefully this will clean the mess that is covering my sand and drop my .60 phosphates. I really want to make this mostly an SPS tank, but no adding SPS till these phosphates go down.

I have been a little down about the tank recently. My skimmer isn't working anymore. All of a sudden just started filling up with water and I can't figure out why. I blow down the two little tubes on the top of the tubing and water bubbles, so I know that's not blocked.

Sick of looking at this algae, but I'm going to get the tubing and pump needed for the phosban, and some rowaphos tomorrow so hopefully that will be up and running by the weekend and knock down my phosphates.

Fish situation hasn't changed, still waiting on the last few fish I want to come into my LFS. A kole tang, royal gramma and lineatus wrasse. I'm selling the 6-line as he won't stop pestering my scooter.

That being said, the corals I do have in there are still healthy, and I've had no problem with my fish, they are all happy as Larry.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #194
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good news, phosphate is down to .14 now, 2 days after adding the reactor it has dropped from .65. Very happy. Rowaphos is doing its thang!

That being said, cyano is still growing. I think I'll let this phosphate get a little lower (.08 or so) and then do the 3 day lights out routine to see if I can wipe it from my tank. Diatoms are also still all over the shop.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:47 AM   #195
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just had my first fish death.. a carpet surfer

Water is perfect, but my Midas Blenny decided to head for the light and instead found its way behind my cabinet overnight.

He was a kool fish, always swimming out and showing out. Real shame. Cost me $55 too..
Old 11-28-2011, 02:55 AM   #196
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry for your loss! I'm working on a Midas as my final stick for my tank now...
Old 11-28-2011, 02:55 AM   #197
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's a great fish and I recommend it. I don't see many here in Australia, hence why it was so expensive

Guess I better work some type of lid out, as I plan on getting a mccosker's and lineatus wrasse anyway. The cabinet came with a hood, but obviously the LED lighting doesn't fit below it.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:58 AM   #198
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've got a McCoskers wrasse - only had for a few weeks, but it's a great addition to my tank. Always swimming and flashes me anytime I'm near the tank - very nice looking as well.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:01 AM   #199
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, they are hard to get here in Australia too. Never seen one in an LFS, only online and the flat rate postage is $90, so I'm not paying $60 for the fish and then $90 postage. I'll probably be able to get a Lineatus before the Mccoskers. A local LFS is getting a Lineatus in for me.

LFS is getting in a nice shipment of acros on Thursday night for their BBQ night, so hopefully my phosphate is down so I can get my first acro Have had to stay away from SPS because of phosphate.

I plan for the tank to be SPS dominated now, with a few LPS about. I measured my Alk today, and got 9.2. This is good yes?

Also really been getting the upgrade itch recently, but my bedroom (where the tank is) is on a second story, and I have no idea how much water I can keep in one area before it goes crashing through the roof onto the pool table the story below lol.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:25 AM   #200
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm just getting into SPS myself... Going this weekend to get an acro! 9.2 is a good alk reading. My understanding is that 8.5-10 is a good range to shoot for.

Good luck with the new acquisitions.

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, build, reef, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com