55 gallon reef - First Saltwater Build Ever!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just pop up the cup and remove if its a normal type of skimmer. You might wanna adjust it a tiny bit so you get more solid skimmate versus just dirty water.

Adjust it? Man, I wish this came with instructions.. I haven't seen anything to adjust it haha.

Yeah that's the skimmer, I can't really see anything to turn on it though. And as for lifting the top off, the top circle thing doesn't completely come off, just the lid (unless I'm doing something wrong?). It's a pain that I can't find instructions for it though!

Can you wiggle the cup upwards? My eshopps you have to wiggle the cup up to dioslodge it from the neck. Turning the red stick tube thing doesnt do anything?

The link says it has an easy smooth twist and remove function for the cup. And the red thing should rotate. Thats what I'm getting from the link. The long red palstic tube that has the air hose in it

I'm trying but I can't seem to, I must be doing something wrong, but I also am trying not to break anything lol. That would be the worst.

The red tubing I also can't seem to rotate. There's two little pipe hole things on top of it, but I was just told by someone to stick something pointy down them every now and then to clean it out, so I don't think they're the solution.

Man I feel stupid lol. Thanks for the help so far Carey! Super appreciated.

I wish I could have been more helpful. Maybe do a google search on it like I did and check out the links. Theres a utube video for it too. didnt watch the whole thing though. LOL

They all work on the same basic principle though so it's just a matter of figuring it out. do any of the air hoses have an adjuster on it, like a little screw maybe? It also looks like it has a drain plug so you can hook up some tubing to the drain plug and let the excess overflow into an old bottle or something.

Not that I can see no, it does have a drain plug though so I'll put some tube onto that and into an empty bottle to give me some extra breathing space for now at least.

I did watch the two youtube videos but they just showed it going, but didn't touch anything.

I also tried googling, but there isn't a whole lot of information on this product, not even a manual on the website :(

Yeah, I was just looking at other sites too and couldnt find a pdf link or anything. They do have a contact us button on the link I provided but who knows how they will respond, the english was sketchy at best on the webpage. lol

Yeah I know what you mean haha.

Well that was just a fail on my behalf. took the plug out and tried to hook up the tubing to a milk container and the tubing split, so I lost nearly all the dirty water back into my sump :(

aww man, that stinks. Leat it wasnt thick muddy skimmate that got back into the water. Hopefully you have more tubing. Youd id this with the skimmer off right? ;-)

I'd take a look into the bottom of the long red tube where the water comes out and see if it's fully open or halfway. That way you know for sure that the tube has to be turned. I wish i could get a picture of mine, I may try anyways. When I twist the tube it closes up the opening in the bottom part under the water. That what I'm betting is the "adjsutment" And a minor tweak might be all you need.

I had a look into where the water comes out of the skimmer and it's kind of half open if that makes sense?

Yep, thats how mine is setup. Thats why turning the red tube should open that up more or close it up. Unless its a set setting, which I find hard to believe. lol

Haha fair enough, so which should it be set at? Half way, fully open, nearly shut?

Depends on the skimmate you want. I have mine "just" barely open, I mean a sliver of the way and it produces a nice thick goo. The more I open it the more wet the skimmate is that goes into the cup.

Eshopps skimmers are known to be very very picky though and the slightest adjustment can totally fill your cup up with water. It's a fine line when I adjust. Once I get it right I've learned not to mess with it.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out. With some tinkering I'm betting you'll get it figured out. :)

Just looked at the pic of your sump. Not sure if you built it yet but the last divider before the return chamber isn't supposed to go all the way down to the bottom. You want the water to pass through and trap the bubbles, not flood the whole thing. If that was a misunderstanding please disregard that ;)

Back
Top Bottom