Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry, it was a bad picture, the divider doesn't go all the way down Didn't notice I did that in paint lol.

I figured out how to empty the skimmer and turn the pipe to open/close the water outage. I turned it so it's nearly fully closed. Now I just have to get some live rock into this setup and let the cycle begin!

I'm thinking about buying it from this reputable company that collects it and sends it straight to the airport for collection, rather than buy it at an LFS where it's been dying off for some time.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:49 AM   #82
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, little update I figured out the skimmer, thanks Carey! It was actually quite simple, I was just dumb lol.

Today I picked up about 13 pound of live rock, as that's the nice stuff I found at the LFS. I'll be ordering some more fresh live rock to be collected and delivered to the airport early next week. Here's a picture for now:

Question: I have LED lighting (1:1 white/blue), how long should I have my lights on for while cycling? Also, the white/blue have independent switches, should I have both blue and white on, or just white, just blue?

Old 09-13-2011, 04:51 AM   #83
Aquarium Advice Freak

Technically you don't even need lights while cycling as long as you don't have fish or corals in there. I would put them on for a little while every day to keep critters an inverts alive that might come with the live rock
Old 09-13-2011, 05:07 AM   #84
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Ausfish. I may leave it on for 4 hours a day then and ramp it up every week of the cycle by an hour? Sound like a good plan?

I have a sign of life in the tank! It's a little worm that came on the rocks. It's clear, with king of a black line following down the length of it's body inside. It seems to have 3 little antennas. Any idea what this could be? Good/bad?

EDIT: It was just under an inch or so long, and I just saw it dig into the substrate.

Also, I will obviously be adding more live rock. Probably another 45 pound or so. Should this be added gradually over the cycle period? Say, 10 pound or so each week? Or should I go out and buy the rest in one go?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #85
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would get ALL the live rock you can while cycling so you get the ammonia die off benefit. If added after your cycle it might have to be cured in a separate container if you have livestock in the tank. base or dead rock can be added at any time at all.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #86
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok guys, just wondering where I should put my second power head? As you can see on the pic, my first one is on the right, I have another. There is also blow disturbing the surface coming from the return in the top left of the tank. Any ideas?

Also, I should be picking up the rest of the rock tomorrow. I'll get a picture when I come up with a rough aquascape
Old 09-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #87
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would put the rock in the way you like it and then place the ph according to dead spots. Usually it's good when they face each other to create turbulence
Old 09-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #88
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup, one of the most common tips is to point the PH's upwards towards surface of water, while pointing towards each other, and also directed at front or back glass so the streams meet in the middle of the glass.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, so I picked up my live rock rock from the airport today. Not sure how I feel about it lol.

One positive (I think) is there was a hitchhiker snail. It's got a green/brown kind of shell, with 2 black antennas. The negatives.. the rocks are huge. I mean, my tank is only 3 foot and I got one piece of rock that was about 2 foot long and weighs like 20-25 pound. The other pieces aren't as large, but they are still very big. There's also a oyster, or mussel shell on one of them. Should I remove this?

Is there a solution to these large pieces of rock? Is it recommended to go hacking at these pieces with a chisel or something to get them smaller? I'm not sure what to think, it's a bit hard to aquascape with only 5 pieces of rock, and they are all very large.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewh133 View Post
Ok guys, just wondering where I should put my second power head? As you can see on the pic, my first one is on the right, I have another. There is also blow disturbing the surface coming from the return in the top left of the tank. Any ideas?

Also, I should be picking up the rest of the rock tomorrow. I'll get a picture when I come up with a rough aquascape
The tank looks very clean. Can't wait to see it with the new rock!

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, build, reef, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com