Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

55 gallon refugium

I am starting a 55 gallon reef. I already have a solid build on what I'm going to do. The one problem I have is that I don't know what to put in my ref I was thinking about having a 10g ref. What skimmer is best for a reasonable price? What pump and overflow are a good combo? And do I need a bigger tank for the ref?

Old 02-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to DA fisherman
When I had my 55g mix/reef I had a DIY 30g sump/refugium .

600gpd overflow.

Mag-5 return pump.

Bubble magus 150 skimmer.

Refugium was about 10-15g with in the sump, had chaeto,copods, amphipods, worms, live rock.
And it's probily was my best tank, can't wait to setup my 90 gallon reef

Old 02-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
is back to save the day!

On my previous tank, i used a standard 10G AGA aquarium as my refugium. It was a great asset to my tanks stability and excellent nutrient export. You can use a 10G tank for fuge, but if you plan to keep a skimmer in there, i suggest going bigger. A 10G tank is really small when you think about it, and i couldn't fit any skimmers in my small fuge. I suggest going with a 20G long, if you can. It makes for an excellent sump. Enough space for a fuge, skimmer section, reactor section, even a frag station, assuming you make each area equal.

The pump and overflow will depend on how much flow you want in the tank. I never drilled my 55G, so i can't help you with the overflow part. However, you could go with a 700GPH overflow system from glass-holes.com if you want to drill your tank.

However, what brand tank do you have? Is it an AGA standard 55G? If so, then you will need an external overflow box, as the 55G AGA's are made of tempered glass, and cannot be drilled otherwise they shatter.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0
On my previous tank, i used a standard 10G AGA aquarium as my refugium. It was a great asset to my tanks stability and excellent nutrient export. You can use a 10G tank for fuge, but if you plan to keep a skimmer in there, i suggest going bigger. A 10G tank is really small when you think about it, and i couldn't fit any skimmers in my small fuge. I suggest going with a 20G long, if you can. It makes for an excellent sump. Enough space for a fuge, skimmer section, reactor section, even a frag station, assuming you make each area equal.

The pump and overflow will depend on how much flow you want in the tank. I never drilled my 55G, so i can't help you with the overflow part. However, you could go with a 700GPH overflow system from glass-holes.com if you want to drill your tank.

However, what brand tank do you have? Is it an AGA standard 55G? If so, then you will need an external overflow box, as the 55G AGA's are made of tempered glass, and cannot be drilled otherwise they shatter.
I was not planning on drilling and I originally wanted a 20 long but I would have to buy a new stand because the 10 is hard to get to now. Unless I put it off to the side or made larger doors
Old 03-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0

There are also hang on skimmers
Old 03-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

AquaEuroUSA Classic 55 Gallon Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer with Bubble Plate Reviews
Is this a good skimmer for me?
Old 03-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
is back to save the day!

Yup. You could go with one of those if that's what you want to do. Believe it or not, that's what I did with my 55G reef. I had a Reef Octopus HOB skimmer. It was a great skimmer, but i quickly got tired of the cluttered look. With all pf the powerheads, heaters, and skimmer pump, as well as thermometers etc.. It just looked so unnatural. Just my opinion though...

I'll never go sumpless ever again.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I wanted to put it on the fuge itself but I decided not to. I am wondering if I should remove the doors and make them larger since I only have 23 inches of room to get under the tank. But I do have a rough plan for the 10g.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

It does not have to be an actual aquarium. You can get any kind of plastic tub or two. You want the water flow to the refugium to be slower than what feeds the sump and you could separate them into the two tubs so you can get them under the stand.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com