Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
55 Gallon Saltwater conversion

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the site and need some advice for converting my 55 gallon freshwater over to saltwater. First off let me say that I plan in the next year or so upgraded to a 110 x-high tank so i've been trying to get my equipment up to par. Here is my current equipment List:

- 5 x 54 watt T5 lighting (48" long)
- Ehiem 2028
- Ehiem 2227 Wet/Dry Filter
- 10 gallon sump w/ 900gph return
- CPR overflow
- Air bars
- 2 X 150 watt heaters
- 1 in-line heater
All the heaters are for the drafty CT winters

I am planning on using my 10 gallon for a protein skimmer and a small refugium. Is there any other equipment I am missing to get my saltwater tank running? plans for the 110 gallon would to only upgrade the refugium and add powerheads to get my flow rate high enough for coral.

For the summer I plan to get a chiller to stabilize the water temperature at 78 degrees. Is there anything that I am missing or should do differently to start my salt water tank?

- Mike

msl5078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is a ten gallon a little small for a 55gal? Im using a 20 long for a 40b. 10 might be a bit small.

Is this a fish only or reef type?

It gets hot enough for a chiller in CT?

User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
welcome to the site.

equipment... loose the air bars.

cpr overflow make sure your getting a lift pump for it too.

and live rock or good dry rock. about a 1-2 lbs per gallon. cheap route is something like reefcleaners.org but bulkreefsupply.com has some good rock too.

you may want to get some power heads. for circulation and surface agitation.

a 10 gallon may be a touch small for a skimmer and refugium. but every little bit helps right?
coffeetwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Welcome to the site!

I would also think the 10g might be too small, can you fit a 20g underneath the tank? That would be such a better option.

As far as equipment I would add on 2 powerheads. i personally like the koralia 750's for a 55g tank, provides enough flow but not too much. Have you considered buying a refractometer for salinity testing? Great investment, about $30 over the $10-15 you'd pay for a swing arm but soo much more accurate. here's a link

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Which CPR overflow did you get? The 900gph pump might be a bit much for the overflow so you might need a ball valve to throttle down the return pump.

With your lighting I wouldnt think that the tank will get that hot so a chiller might be overkill unless you keep your house in the high 80's during the summer.
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
My friend got that refractometer from ebay and it is just as nice as my milwaukee, they are worth it imo.
joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote

5 gallon, 55 gallon, conversion, overflow, salt, saltwater, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com