Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I give you a lot of credit for making your own rock. Very ambitious especially for your first time setting up a salt tank. You're gonna end up being the guy that makes a lot of progress really fast and has one of those mind numbing reef tanks in under a year.

I can appreciate flat pieces of rock, but maybe try a mold to make more rounded shapes with nooks and holes in it. I'm not sure how to do that, but maybe someone will chime in.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:49 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Mr. Crabs.

Updates,

1. Toilet tank curing of DIY live rock is a no go. The pieces of rock are too big.

2. Made 2 batches today, did them up in starfish shapes, just for fun. Will have photos tomorrow. Better and more exciting shapes. Still getting used to the DIY mix. Used 1.5 parts white Portland cement instead of 1 part.

I have seen where people make great molds out of sand, the problem is the silicate in sand that I don't want in the tank.

I am not sure if coral sand will hold shape when damp like play sand. Does anyone know?

SRC <><

55 Gallon, DIY Live Rock, 2 Taotronics 130w LEDs, CPR HOB skimmer and refugium, 525 GPH SunSun 5-stage Canister with UV Sterilizer using Chemi-pure Elite, and Two Fishes GFO reactor and 3 800 GPH powerheads. <><
San Raphael Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Looks good src. I can't answer your question about the sand but I do know even if you use silicate sand it will eventually get used up .so you might have longer diatom stage but in the end it will be non existent.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yesterday's starfish shaped DIY live rock. I dunked one this morning in the curing tote and then quickly pulled it out when I remember that it did not have 24 hours to set up yet. I like the organic shape.

One cool thing I learned is they don't stick to the cardboard that I made them on. I was worried that the cardboard would have to be soaked to come off.

I'm gonna look at some live rock photos and see of there is any shape I can emulate. I need to rule an experiment with mix and plastic wrap. To see if they don't stick. I might be able to make more cylindrical shapes and branches with wrap maybe.

SRC <><
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3277412799.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	134382   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3921014907.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	134383  

55 Gallon, DIY Live Rock, 2 Taotronics 130w LEDs, CPR HOB skimmer and refugium, 525 GPH SunSun 5-stage Canister with UV Sterilizer using Chemi-pure Elite, and Two Fishes GFO reactor and 3 800 GPH powerheads. <><
Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Made up two more batches. I have a couple ideas. I don't like the flat, non 3d part of the rock. My current plan, make rocks with similar detail as the starfish on day one. Day two, turn them over and add bulk to the flat side. Day three add a base and stand them on end. Photos to follow tomorrow.

SRC <><
Old 11-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oops, wasn't as patience as I should have been. Broke a new piece before the cement was fully hardened. Not a problem though. Going to cement it again when I do the backside this afternoon.

SRC <><
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1512197732.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	134618   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-240798775.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	134619  

Old 11-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

New photos!! It lives! Well, at least it stands. Three days in the making so far. The water bottle to make the cave will be pulled out when cement dries. There will be a cave or tunnel on the taller piece as well. Changed the water in the curing tote. When I get all the pieces in there, I put a HOB filter on it just to stir up the water. I am running out of puka shells and crushed coral. May need to get more. Doesn't seem like near enough rock for a 55.

SRC <><

Thanks to all those that are following the process.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-820421902.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	134846   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2521105411.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	134847  

Old 12-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

About 42 pounds of DIY liverock curing. Had a HOB filter moving water. Watching it and saw the cord hissing and burning. Needless to say, not using that any more. Switched to back up HOB filter.

Cure baby cure.

Got API test set so I can tell when the rock has leached out enough to be safe.

SRC <><
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3011491726.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	136057  
Old 12-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

In my sculpture class I used an empty milk type carton ( I used an extra big goldfish cracker carton) and raw clay around the corners to make organic shapes for poured plaster.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Help. What sand or coral substrate do I need? I plan to have blennies, and maybe a goby. I don't want too small and have a constant sand storm, or too large that creatures and fish can't dig.

SRC <><

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com