Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyP View Post
Hi SRC,

Just read through your build and I love the rocks. It may not look as natural as some other tanks but it's definitely going to be unique. I love the way you made the rock in the starfish shape very good idea. I wanted to comment on the lights. I currently am running a 4 bulb T5 HO set up. It has 8 LEDS just for moonlight. I was thinking about upgrading to LEDs as well but was always recommended to buy the dimmable ones. This way you can accliamte corals and such. Also, with a 55g tank, I have one as well, you need 2 of those set ups. If I can get away with only buying 1 LED set up I would of done that already. If your tank is doing good and thriving with only 1 LED unit, im doing it lol. Just figured Id give you my input.
My plan is to get a second LED at some point. I plan to start out with the first one dead center. Maybe bring in corals and them put them on the edges of the tanks and then move them in after a period of time to help with acclimating at first.

I am thinking on getting some coral and have it singly cover a starfish shape like all Xenia or something like that to make the organic shape look even more organic.

I will be learning as I go. Thanks for checking out my thread. People did seem happy with that LED light, even though it was not dimmable.

SRC <><

55 Gallon, DIY Live Rock, 2 Taotronics 130w LEDs, CPR HOB skimmer and refugium, 525 GPH SunSun 5-stage Canister with UV Sterilizer using Chemi-pure Elite, and Two Fishes GFO reactor and 3 800 GPH powerheads. <><
San Raphael Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay great. I just didnt want to hang them above the tank I was looking for something that had a bracket to mount it ontop of the tank, similar to the t5's. If yours works out with only 1, maybe I'll do the same thing... following anyway.

TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Recharging my purigen and getting it ready to go. It is soaking in 2 cups of water and 4 tablespoons of Prime to dechlorinate it.. I was surprised that the bleaching that the bleaching left some of the purigen still red.

SRC <><
55 Gallon, DIY Live Rock, 2 Taotronics 130w LEDs, CPR HOB skimmer and refugium, 525 GPH SunSun 5-stage Canister with UV Sterilizer using Chemi-pure Elite, and Two Fishes GFO reactor and 3 800 GPH powerheads. <><
Old 01-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is so cold in the garage during the winter. I was wondering if the cold was slowing the leaching process. Placed the rocks in the tank with freshwater, heater and HOB filter to try help move the process along. Looking forward to seeing it all alive with color and movement.

SRC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3150636252.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	146348  
Old 01-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Took the plunge. Salt and live sand added.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice plunge lol
TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

Depending on clarity tomorrow I might add my first fish. My canister is probably cleaning this up nice while I am at work.

SRC
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-801581611.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	146520  
Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

Gone live. Canister filter cleaned it up beautifully while I was at work. Starting with 3 creamcicle mollies. 1 male and two female.

SRC
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2669879057.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	146570  
Old 01-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

At what point can I add a clean up crew? Do I have to be done with the cycle first?

SRC <><
Old 01-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Added a Chromis. They didn't have any in the tanks at Petco. But they just got in a shipment, and I got it in a bag, out of the shipping box before it touched a Petco tank.

SRC

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com