Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

55 Patience is a Virtue Seawater Build

I have run a 55 gallon freshwater for 7 years and I have finally decided to make the jump into saltwater. My plan is to build slow and enjoy the process.

My tank is all tempered glass, so I won't drill it to run a sump. I cleaned the outside with windex, I will clean the inside with vinegar. I painted the back emerald green today, so I don't have to look at cords through the tank. I picked green because I like it and I figured it would be a calming organic color.

Plan is to get it cleaned up and back on the stand, because the room looks funny without it there.

Next is to get crushed puka shells and crushed corals to make DIY live rock. I already have 94 pounds of White Portland Cement and water softener salt for that part. I will have DIY live rock left over that I may use to barter for other things I'll want for the tank.

I gave my freshwater fish to my son's science teacher to go into the classroom 125 gallon tank. He in turn gave me 15 pounds of Instant Ocean salt to get me started.

Gotta make my rock, and recharge my purigen before start the cycle and put in fish.

Just read this week Saltwater Aquariums for dummies. Thanks for all the advice.

I will run a Cascade 1000 canister and purigen and I haven't decided yet and will get a hang on skimmer.

Thanks for reading and joining me on this process.

SRC <><
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2786467269.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	132280   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2100738557.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	132281  

55 Gallon, DIY Live Rock, 2 Taotronics 130w LEDs, CPR HOB skimmer and refugium, 525 GPH SunSun 5-stage Canister with UV Sterilizer using Chemi-pure Elite, and Two Fishes GFO reactor and 3 800 GPH powerheads. <><
San Raphael Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

There is the White Portland Cement. I have watched about ten YouTube videos and read an article in Reef and Coral and am very excited to make it and soak it until it is ph safe to put in the tank. I'll post photos of the rock getting made.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1446921143.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	132287  

55 Gallon, DIY Live Rock, 2 Taotronics 130w LEDs, CPR HOB skimmer and refugium, 525 GPH SunSun 5-stage Canister with UV Sterilizer using Chemi-pure Elite, and Two Fishes GFO reactor and 3 800 GPH powerheads. <><
Old 11-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like the green background. That will look nice when it's set up! Keep us posted!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Admin. . . Oops, I meant it to say Saltwater, not seawater. I am not sure what a seawater build would even mean. Can someone change the title for me.

SRC <><
Old 11-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank back in its place. I like the green glow through the green back of the tank. Can hardly wait till it is full of life.

SRC <><
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-348577104.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	133049  
Old 11-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Raphael Catfish
Tank back in its place. I like the green glow through the green back of the tank. Can hardly wait till it is full of life.

SRC <><
Yeah, that's a nice shade of green. Good choice.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks!

Got crushed coral yesterday. Will get crushed puka shells Friday. Saturday afternoon I will start making my DIY live rock. API test kit and Seachem prime are in transit.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

SRC <><
Old 11-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Made my first batch of live rock today. 2 cups crushed coral, 2 cups crushed puka shells, 1 cup white Portland cement, mixed with water and the added 1 cup of rock salt. Poured into mold, prepped the mold with extra rock salt to help it release. Will have photos in a couple days, when it dries.

What is funny and I am tempted to try, DIY rock needs lots of water changes to leach out the alkalinity before it can be put in with livestock. I was reading on another forum about people putting them in the toilet tank, because every flush is a water change. Ha, I have three toilets in the house.

I'm going to check how this batch goes, before I ramp up production.

SRC <><
Old 11-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Raphael Catfish
Made my first batch of live rock today. 2 cups crushed coral, 2 cups crushed puka shells, 1 cup white Portland cement, mixed with water and the added 1 cup of rock salt. Poured into mold, prepped the mold with extra rock salt to help it release. Will have photos in a couple days, when it dries.

What is funny and I am tempted to try, DIY rock needs lots of water changes to leach out the alkalinity before it can be put in with livestock. I was reading on another forum about people putting them in the toilet tank, because every flush is a water change. Ha, I have three toilets in the house.

I'm going to check how this batch goes, before I ramp up production.

SRC <><
The toilet thing is hilarious. Can't believe someone thought of that!! Haha
Old 11-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

First piece. Not really pretty. Very porous. I am going to tweak the recipe a little and make more tonight. I have a long way to go to make 55 or so pounds. I thought what might be semi-cool was to get some kid sand molds, I have seen some that are shell or starfish shape.

It is gonna make great home for beneficial bacteria and tiny invert. And some day being all purple.

SRC <><
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-97680808.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	134168  

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com