Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

55 to 120 gallon upgrade

Alright, we got an awesome deal that couldn't be passed up on a 120 gallon tank. Our original plans didn't include an upgrade for about a year, but - here we go.....
Our current tank is 55gal, with live sand, about 100lb of rock, 1 clown, 1 damsel, 1 watchman goby, 1 yellow tang and a cleaner shrimp. 305 Fluval filter, 10gal sump underneath with a Rio 2100 that pumps 375 gal/hr at 4ft, 2 power heads and a maxi jet 1200 which we are using as a 1300 gal/hr circulation pump.
The new tank is 120gal - 6ft long. We plan to use a 30gal sump and add another maxi jet.
Since we're still relatively new to saltwater and have never undertaken this before, we're looking for some advice on the best and easiest way to do this.
What is the consensus on heater size for the 120? We currently have a 300 watt. Also, what would be the recommended amount of sand?
Any other tips are GREATLY appreciated. I'm sure we'll come up with some more questions along the way. Can't wait to get it up and running to show off some pics!!

lovemyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

for the heater i would go with 2 fluval 200 watt heaters, they have the temp gauge built in. i like 2 heaters combined for the the tank size as if one malfunctions and sticks on you wont boil the fish and if one stops working you still have one to keep some heat

Old 01-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Congrats on the new tank! Bet that tang will really appreciate the upgrade.

I like aqueon pro heaters myself, I only use one 250 w since I live in Florida and it doesnt really do much, but 2 is not a bad idea. Just in case.

In my 6 foot 125g tank I have FOUR powerheads. 2 1400gph koralias, 1 750 koralia and a 950 aqueon. I would for sure look at upgrading to 2 higher power ones, the 300gph from a maxijet 1200 isnt gonna cut it. lol

The sand is up to you, depends on how high you want it. I have about 250lbs in my 125g and it's quite deep.

Are you able to setup both tanks at the same time or is one replacing the other? I've done several upgrades but usually I have the ability to have both tanks up and running at the same time which makes the move soo much easier.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Congrats on the new tank! Bet that tang will really appreciate the upgrade.

I like aqueon pro heaters myself, I only use one 250 w since I live in Florida and it doesnt really do much, but 2 is not a bad idea. Just in case.

In my 6 foot 125g tank I have FOUR powerheads. 2 1400gph koralias, 1 750 koralia and a 950 aqueon. I would for sure look at upgrading to 2 higher power ones, the 300gph from a maxijet 1200 isnt gonna cut it. lol

The sand is up to you, depends on how high you want it. I have about 250lbs in my 125g and it's quite deep.

Are you able to setup both tanks at the same time or is one replacing the other? I've done several upgrades but usually I have the ability to have both tanks up and running at the same time which makes the move soo much easier.
We are able to keep the current tank up while the new one gets ready, I may not have a dining room for a while, but I'm sure it will be worth it.
We currently have about a 3" sand bed and like the look of that. So I'm hoping we don't have to break the bank there.
Looks like we'll be adding additional power heads and one more heater to the list. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosaj81
for the heater i would go with 2 fluval 200 watt heaters, they have the temp gauge built in. i like 2 heaters combined for the the tank size as if one malfunctions and sticks on you wont boil the fish and if one stops working you still have one to keep some heat
Good thinking! I think we're go with 2. Thanks!

Tags
120 gallon, 20 gallon, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com