55 to 125 tank conversion, please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lawson2479

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am getting ready to undertake a big project (to me). I have a 55 gal SW FOWLR and CC substrate. I am changing to a 125 gal FOWLR tank with a sand bottom. I have several questions:

1. What would be the best way to do this. I have several options and am open to suggestions:

a.Move partial CC, LR, water, fish, anenomes to a 29 gal holding tank until 125 gal tank is up and running with 45# of new live rock using partial old CC to seed sand bed with maybe a couple of chromis to let it cycle. Then ~ 4-6 weeks later transfer 29 gal contents to 125 tank?
b.Cure 45# of LR in holding tank then transfer 55 gal contents into buckets and swap out tanks. Put in sand seeded with old CC, LR & water from holding tanks & buckets. Then, top with new water and reacclimate livestock.

2.Would a sump be good for this set-up? If so, what would be the best way to build one. I would gladly accept any diagrams anyone has available. What would the flow rate be for a 125 gal tank and how large should a sump be?

3.Would CC or LS be better? Would my fish eat the cleaners? I have a copperband butterfly, a tomato clown, 2 anenomes and a brittle starfish. I would like to have a variety of different species and would like any suggestions you have on what varieties are compatible with each other and the cleaners?

4.What is the best variety of cleaners that will not hurt the anenomes and starfish and not be eaten by the other fish? I have no corals or tubeworms. I am looking to eventually get a yellow tang, antennetta lionfish and some chromis.

I am sorry to ask so many questions at one time, but as most of you know, alot of these decisions need to be made prior to starting the new tank. Thanks so much for any and all information.

also your plan looks good, just make sure to have enough filtration on the 29 gallon
(may do a very alike project this winter)

I just went threw that, same thing upgraded from a 55 gal to a 125, did all the research talked to everyone and what seemed easy was not as my tank went into a full cycle which now every one told me was noraml, problem was my readings were off the chart, tried everything ,fish were not doing well ,with a dose of prime every three days plus I was told to try a chemical called stability made by seachem and boy it worked grea, I tried products like that before that did not work but this is a seven day chemical that cycles your tank for you, if I only knew from the start as I did not try this until four weeks down the road, between that and the prime that detox te amonia nd nitrites hhhh

Back
Top Bottom