55g build !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bone collector

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi , I've been keeping freshwater fish for years , I have a 55g tank and I'am thinking about changing to saltwater !
I was going to use my HOB marine land 350 filter and thinking about buying a Ehiem filter 2217 a HOB protein skimmer any suggestions !
I was also going to buy 65 lb of live rock but there are so many people selling live rock Online line and they all get mixed reviews I don't now who to believe !! I'm also going to buy live sand and have a 4 inch bed !
Any suggestions would be appreciated !

Regardless of how or where you get live rock, I'd still cure it. When you set it up you have to cycle the tank which can take up to 6 weeks. Live rock works in many ways from filtration to deco. What are your plans with the tank? Fowlr or reef?

Thank you for replying , I was thinking I would probably start of with FOWLR and with the more experience with saltwater I get I would slowly change to a reef , with the set up I mention would it be ok !

I'm not an expert on canister filters so I couldn't give you an accurate answer on that one. I'm a big believer in refugium and wet/dry filters. Hob filters are ok too though. My first sw tank was filtered by two penguin bio-wheel filters and did fine for years.

This would be my first canister filter I've researched about them and if I change out the bio balls for something better like crushed live rock I shouldn't have any nitrate problems !
I'm planing on only putting reef friendly fish from the start so I won't have any problems later on , I'm staying away from any tangs because my tank is too small and they are prone to ich .

I started my 55 with a canister filter and it did a good job keeping the water clear kept it on the tank for about two months and then got rid of it. If you haven't bought it yet you should just save the money and invest it in to other equipment. Will you have a sump? How about a skimmer? What are you going to use for water movement.

Thank you for replying , I had planned on getting the canister filter but I'm going to save my money and see how it goes without it.I'm not using a sump,
I'm still going to use my marine land 350 and I'm planning on buying a HOB skimmer I was thinking of using the aqua c remora are they any good any how noisy are they my tank is a 55g and I'am planning on buying 55-65lb of live rock and 100lb of live sand I want a 4 inch bed of sand ! If you have any suggestion please they would be greatly appreciated !! Thank you

Sorry I had forgot that you were going to start with fish. I went with mostly base rock from reefcleaners.org. you can get 50lb of dry rock for what I think was $80 with shipping included. I also added about 20lb live to help seed it. And about two months ago I added another 20lb dry rubble rock to the sump. I know have some bubble algae in the tank that must have come on one of the rocks. So my point is that if I was to do it again I would've done all base rock.

My goal is to end up with a reef tank, I was going to start with a fowlr and only have reef friendly fish and slowly change to reef , I'm not sure about the lights and also was thinking of using the glass tops that you can buy instead of leaving it uncovered would that make any difference to the tank ! I know it would slow down the evaporation ! Once again thank you for replying !

I'm glad you mention about base rock that was another question I had , I've been looking at all the live rock online and I'm confused some people say buy premium rock only and other say base rock and it will seed over time !
I now I have a lot to learn and I'm taking my time to do it right the first time and try to keep the expense under control !! Lol but we all now in this hobby once your hooked your hooked lol !

I recently set up a 55g reef and here are some things I encountered. If you can afford it go with a 75g reef ready tank. It's basically the same tank just deeper front to back which is a huge difference when doing your rock scape. With that you can use your 55 as a sump. If you decide to just go with the 55 that's fine too. As far as the canister goes if you get one remove all the media and fill it with filter floss and perhaps some carbon and GFO. The carbon and GFO are there to control phosphates and nitrates which will help with algae. Or just run your HOB with floss, carbon and GFO. In saltwater you only need one source of mechanical filtration as your rock is the bacterial filtration. In freshwater they say more filtration is better well in salt it's more rock and more flow that wins. As far as skimmer goes I use the remora aqua c and it works well. I would suggest getting an overflow box that attaches to the tank by suction cup and run the skimmer in that. Get two if you opt for the canister filter. Also before you do anything get a RO/DI water system as this will save you headache down the road. Purified water is important to having a happy healthy and beautiful saltwater tank. Another good investment is an auto top off system which keeps your tank topped up due to evaporation. Most people run either open top tanks or screen top tanks to promote good gas exchange and this increases evaporation. Now as far as flow goes if you start with a FOWLR then flow doesn't have to be as high, they say 10x volume in turnover per hour so a 550gph powerhead would suffice. I would recommend more however especially if your going reef down the road. Start with one 1050-1500 gph powerhead or two 550. I personally have 2 1050 running alternating between the two(I have a wave maker to turn them on and off) and have a 1400 that I use for mixing and will be putting in the tank when not mixing. I personally prefer koralia powerheads, the look decent and have a magnet base that holds them in place and the price is way better than a vortech. Now as far as rock goes its purely your choice. Live rock needs to be cured especially if it's recently been shipped. Cured live rock from your LFS is more likely to have a short cycle time. Both forms of live rock are good but carry a risk/reward. Live rock has the risk of carrying hitchhikers some good some bad. You often find coral or feather dusters and various worms snail and starfish in the rock. However you also often find crabs shrimp and aiptasia. Personally I got all cured live rock but I knew the risks involved and ended up with some nice hitchhikers and only pest I got was aiptasia. Now base rock is proffered by many as it is basically live rock that has been dried out completely and is now dead. This kills everything on the rock good and bad. Once added to the aquarium it will become live again but only with what you add to it. The bacteria cultures will grow back as part of the cycle but you don't risk adding harmful critters to the tank. So the choice is solely yours and what you feel comfortable with. Hope this helps some and if you have any questions fire away on here or send me a PM.

Thank you for all the information I'll have to do some so more research and plan what I'm going too do ! Thanks again :)

No problem glad to help, it was only a few months ago I was in your shoes and have spent countless hours online reading and absorbing. If your interested check out my thread, 55g reef build.

Get the best lights now or you will end up buying them twice. There is some cheap LEDs on eBay. You can get two of them for your 55 for under $400. I should've done that myself but didn't. You will want corals sooner than you know.

jjamontan said:
Get the best lights now or you will end up buying them twice. There is some cheap LEDs on eBay. You can get two of them for your 55 for under $400. I should've done that myself but didn't. You will want corals sooner than you know.

I agree, make sure to get dimmable LEDs though as it will help with coral acclimation. I would also suggest planning your fish around your future plans. If you want to go reef eventually then best to get reef safe fish now then add coral down the road when you feel comfortable with it. This will save headache down the road trying to remove non reef safe fish cause you want to add coral. Oh and avoid damsels cause they are mean and hard to catch.

Best lights you can get has to be keesil A350 for sure they are also LED , look it up , most of my LFS have them on there tanks and made me want to get a couple because of the amazing results you get

Back
Top Bottom