55G Build, First Timer, Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patterson333

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all!

So I just moved my cichlids over from their 55 to a new 120, so I now have an empty 55 on my hands and I was thinking of trying SW.

I was thinking of going with a FOWLR setup, as the idea of keeping up with a Reef is rather daunting. Looking up ideas for a 55G FOWLR setup online could kind of make your head spin though, since so many people say so many different things. I definitely want to research everything very thoroughly before I make any purchases, because I'd like to avoid those rookie mistakes as much as possible.

So here's my question: what kind of fish species should I look into? I'm looking for color and personality mostly, but I'm open to suggestions.

Any help would really be appreciated! And please excuse my lack of knowledge!

Liveaquaria and saltwaterfish .com's both give guides to all types of marine fish species and give minimum tank size requirements as a guide. liveaquaria also has a good compatibility chart to ensure that all your fish live peacefully.

If you are looking for color I would suggest, gobies, blennys, dwarf angels (only 1 at a time) chromis, wrasse, firefish, hawkfish, and clowns.

One recommendation I have is to research each fish's swimming habits, and layer your tank with top swimmers, mid swimmers, perchers, bottom feeders... that way you have color at every level in your tank. Good Luck!

Alright, I'm still in the brainstorming part, but I've got another question. I live on a canal that leads out to the ocean. It's completely saltwater.

I was thinking that for the PWCs, it might be possible to pump water from the center of my canal (away from the gunk by the edges) right into my tank, but would it be safe to use seawater like that? Are there any tests I could run on it to see whether or not it would be safe?

Sorry if that was a ridiculous suggestion, I'm entirely new to the SW stuff...

I live in Michigan so I don't have that debate, however, from everything that I've read and heard, unless you go out around (1) mile into the ocean with deeper water, there is too much risk involved - contaminates / pollution / etc.

I'm not sure about the testing question... anyone?

I'm still in the planning stages, but I've got some questions that hopefully someone can help me with, as I'm really trying to plan this out well before jumping in and making any purchases. I've got some questions in bold. My aim is to make a tank that is a FOWLR, but is ready to become a reef tank relatively easily should I want that in the future :D

Okay, so I've started making a list of what I need. But here's what I have:

• 55 G Tank
  • Stand
  • Glass Canopies
  • Empty 10 G Tank to be used as QT (with lid, light, filter, heater, and thermometer)
lol not a lot, but here's what I think I need

• Sump (but what size?)
  • Canister Filter (wouldn't want a HOB, want it hidden)
  • Heater
  • Thermometer
  • SW Test Kit
  • Live Rock (how many pounds? Fiji? Haitian? Does it matter?)
  • Sand
  • Powerhead (how strong? how many?)
  • Lighting (Quad T5 HO, good? Should I get something stronger?)
And here's a list of stuff which I might not need, but I want, please let me know if you don't think they are necessary

• Protein Skimmer (can you recommend one?)
  • UV Sterilizer
  • Refugium?
Sorry about all the questions! I really want to get this right from the start and I know it can be very easy to make a mistake.

Oh and as far as the question I had earlier about getting seawater and using that for my tank, it turns out that many of the lfs around here do the same thing.

When the tide is coming in, they go out on Biscayne Bay and fill a massive tank with water to keep at the shop and supply customers looking to buy. Since I've got a boat and live on the water, I could probably do this myself. Still researching that though lol.

If you went with a sump you wouldnt need a canister filter and vice versa. :)

I would think a good quality quad t5 light fixture would be good fo corals when you get to that point.

As far as rock a good rule is 1.5 to 2lbs a gallon. So at least 75 lbs. BUT you can get say 20lbs of live rock and the rest in base rock. It will become live within a short period of time and after a month or two it will look just like the live rock. :)

Sand I use about 1.5 lbs per gallon. Just put in 30lbs in my 20g. In my 125g I have a deep sand bed so I used 250lbs of pool filter sand.

I was using two koralia 750's in my 55g and loved the flow. I also was using a canister in that tank as well since I had no room for a sump.

I did use a hang on back skimmer though since I had no sump. If you go the sump route you can hide the skimmer and heater in there so the tank will look clean. The only thing hangin in my 125g is the overflow box and I love that theres nothign for anything to climb on or in. LOL

Hope that helped a bit! :-D

Thanks! That helped a lot actually! So does anyone have any recommendation of what size sump I should get for a 55G?

Based on the size recommendation, I'll measure the space in my stand to see if there's enough room. If not I'll probably just get a canister filter, like carey had.

Thanks! When I get home I'll measure the space I have to see what I can work with. If not I might just go the canister route and I'll probably have some more questions lol

Okay, so it might be a tight squeeze, but that sump carey recommended will fit. :D

Its dimensions are 24"L x 12"W x 16"H, and the space I'm working with is 47.5"L x 15"W x 23"H

Got a few more questions though lol. So as far as the plumbing goes, would it be okay to run it with flexible tubes going from the sump up and over the rim of the aquarium, for both intake and output? If you don't understand what I mean, just imagine the standard set-up for just about any canister filter. Or does it have to be a solid PVC plumbling system?

Also, will there be any need to drill my tank and install an overflow system? I'd rather avoid doing so, if at all possible, as this project is going to call for a good deal of work as it is lol.

Lastly, I've been looking at some possible lighting systems on ebay, and I've found some selling for prices that seem almost too good to be true. There was a quad lighting system with moonlights and all selling for $100. My gut tells me that the deal's just too good to be true, but at the same time, at that price, I'm almost willing to take the gamble, and the seller has really good ratings. Anyone have any experience with these cheap, Chinese lights?

Sorry again for all the questions!

What was the brand of the lights from personal experience I found cheap lights to b hit or miss that is y if u read the thred on my 55 reef build I am going with the brand current they r a really good light

I use flexible tubing but have this at the up and over part of the aquarium

Aquarium Plumbing: Directional U-Tube

You could drill your tank but you can also use and overflow box.

Here are two links for the ones I bought. The first one I didn't like the second one I love. Just keep in mind I did this for a bigger system so youll want to get the oveflow rated for your system

Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes

Aquarium Filters: Continuous Siphon Overflow

You may be looking at aquatraders lights, while a decent "ok" fixture you for sure get what you pay for. I would keep looking and maybe I can find some other links for a 48" fixture thats much better than the cheapy chinese ones

Thank you guys so much for all your help! There's just so much to learn that it could leave your head spinning, and that's coming from a university student (learning is kind of my job right now lol)

For any other newbies out there like me, I found this document on overflows and sumps to be really helpful:

Overflows and Sumps | Reefland

Anyways, so back to my eventual build. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as if the gph ratings of the overflow systems are at least fairly accurate, so I figured that should be the hallmark that determines my turnover rate.

The overflow that I'm looking at is the second one that carey linked:

Aquarium Filters: Continuous Siphon Overflow

Now here's my question, could there be such a thing as too much turnover? With the 1200gph overflow (only one available at this time), I'd have a turnover rate of about 20 times my tank volume every hour lol. I'm a fan of overdoing filtration, but I don't know if things work the same way with these overflows and sumps as they do with the FW canisters that I'm used to.

Also, as far as the lights go, I'm doing more research on those lol. Thanks again!

Hey I saw that you were asking about NSW. I have only used it so far, and no ill affects. I have a house on the water and go off my boat to get as far away from the edges as possible. I also only do it during high tide. Just make sure you don't see crap and litter in the water.

I'm running my 1532gph return pump throttled back to about 1200 to match my overflow. I also have 2 1400 power heads so I'm turning my water over at 4000gph. i find it to be a bit of overkill on my 125g. But you do have the option of running a bigger tank with it if that time comes. But then you might also need a new sump and then a new return pump too. Also keepin mind that overflow has a double 1 inch input which bmeans you need a double mount in your sump. I suppose you could just use one pipe of the two but then I;m not sure of the gph. I think most people with a 55g go with about 600gph single overflows.

Entirely your decision though, i can just share what I've learned here and there.

Hey I saw that you were asking about NSW. I have only used it so far, and no ill affects. I have a house on the water and go off my boat to get as far away from the edges as possible. I also only do it during high tide. Just make sure you don't see crap and litter in the water.

Thanks for the tip! Yea I've got the same exact situation as you, and I was also advised to go out when the tide is coming in, but it's always good to hear it straight from another hobbyist lol.

Back
Top Bottom