Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

55g first saltwater reef build

Hello all,
I have acquired a 55g and after about 3 months of reading and research and I starting to gather the supplies to start my first reef. I still have lots of questions and want to make sure I do this right.

The plan:
I plan on doing a 55g system with about 50-70 lbs of live rock(enough to make a nice scape most likely a wall. a few power heads and a skimmer. for lighting I will go the LED wrought. The local fish store owner builds some nice Led systems for a 40 led set up about $299.
I will be doing a shollow sand bed about 1-2inches deep.

I do not plan on drill the tank and for alteast the first 6 months I do not plan on adding a sump or refrug.

My thoughts:
Are the max jet 400's any good as circulation pumps?(500gph) flow.
I would do 3 of those 1 pointed behind the rock wall and 2 bouncing of the front glass.
Would a koralia 550gph and 750gph be better?

I have a friend with a spare hob filter should I run that will carbon and filter floss? or is their a better way to run carbon without a sump?

heater
Finnex 200w Digital Titanium Heater or ViaAqua Titanium Aquarium Heater 200w

skimmer options?
Is an Eshopps HOB psk-75h anygood? I have read some good review and seen few negative.

test kits- I will be going with api for ammonia, ph, nitrate, and nitrite.
I am unsure about the others like calcium and magnesium. any suggestions?

I plan on keeping mostly lps, leathers, mushrooms and zoas. I might get a clam or a scallop or maybe way down the road some sps, but it will be an lps and zoa dominated tank. Not sure about fish, but I have time. adding a cuc and fish atleast 2 months before any coral is added. obviously after the tank has cycled.

any tips pointers or ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
Regards,
Joe

Old 03-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You don't plan on drilling right away? What are you going to do with what's in the tank when you do drill? 55s are hit or miss if the back glass is tempered so you might want to check to make sure it isn't before drilling.

If you are planning on drilling you should do it right away. You can always run a plug in the bulkhead until you are ready to build a sump setup.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

iadubber, I can't drill the tank I am almost positive it is Tempered glass. If i do add a sump I will use a reef life hob overflow.

Ok, so I was thinking. I want to run carbon(I think) would a aquaclear 110 be the way to go or
PhosBan Reactor 150 be worth while

I was also thinking about getting one of these for a refrugium to grow pods and cheato. Any thoughts? hob breeder/refugium box
HOB BB Refugium.mpeg - YouTube

I just sent up the stand and cleaned out the tank today. Once I get enough posts going I will begin adding pictures.

Regards,
Joe

Old 04-01-2012, 05:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Read the reviews for both max jets and koralias. You cant go wrong with either. A HOB filter certainly is a cheaper form of mechanical and chemical filtration. Keep it cheap and simple.

That fuge box is pretty small. Its effectiveness will be minimal.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok, so my wife just vetoed my orginal lighting choice. I need a light for around $500. that looks very clean and nice. I believe black is preferred. I wanted led, but i can't find an (pretty) wife's words not mine fixture, please help with some options.

Regards,
Joe
Old 04-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

This led is a nice cheap option but isnt very pretty. BUT you can hang it so it can look cool. LOL

Amazon.com: TaoTronics Aquarium Coral Reef Tank White Blue LED Lamb Grow Light 120W: Patio, Lawn & Garden

they also have them on ebay for even less money.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the reply. I like that fixture, but I'm afraid I get to pick what goes into the tank and she gets to pick what goes into the room lol. so she gets the final decision for the light.

Might end up going with t5ho's in the end. their is a coralvue fixture that my wife likes the look of. Is this any good. I want mostly LPS. I will consider any lighting option as long as it doesn't go over 600.

CoralVue 4 Bulb T5/LED Fixture 48" , 10 high power 1 watt LEDs, hanging kit, & legs - Aquarium Supplies, Discount Fish Tanks & Fish Tank Supplies for Complete Saltwater & Freshwater Aquarium, Protein Skimmers, Saltwater Reef Aquarium - AQUASYTHE.com

Regards,
Joe
Old 04-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quick update and a few questions.
I just order 50lbs of dry base rock from lfs should be in on Tuesday. got the Koralia power heads some sand, an ac70 filter and a 200w heater.

I also picked up some egg crate from Home depot. how do I set this up in the tank. It I place it only were the rocks go or should I cut a size for the full tank. will it effect with my shallow sand bed?

Edit:
Also, I have decided on a lfs custom build Led system for lighting. I will order that soon and have it ready after my tank is cycled

Thanks,
Joe
Old 04-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I would cut the egg crate for the length of your tank. I did this in mine and double layered them, tied together with zip ties, and added 60 lbs of sand. The egg crate is only there to make a stable base for your rock as sand sifters can cause catastrophic events without proper support.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Will anything bad get trapped in the small little squares? Also should I make sure I fill every square with sand or is it OK if their is no sand in the grate under the live rock

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef, reef build, salt, saltwater, saltwater reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com