55g FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im getting some conflicting info... are the blue reef chromis considered an aggressive fish? Apparently they are in the damselfish category.

I'll take a look at the lights. I will eventually get to corals but if I don't I want to make sure the fixture has some longevity.

huma-huma said:
Im not saying that they are complete junk but 120w leds for 180 cant be high quality leds

Not brand name but i know people who have them and are growing sps in the sand at 30" away from light you can spend 400$ on brand name or 200$ on no name and get the same results im putting 2 on my 150g the par rating surpasses metal halides now on the other hand longevity i cant speak for i dont know anyone who had them over a year yet

bigbanker said:
Im getting some conflicting info... are the blue reef chromis considered an aggressive fish? Apparently they are in the damselfish category.

I'll take a look at the lights. I will eventually get to corals but if I don't I want to make sure the fixture has some longevity.

Chromis are docile

danbstrong said:
Chromis are docile

Don't usually disagree with you Dan but on this one I have to. I had a school of 5 and my full grown alpha male/female picked at my polyps and beat up the weakest chromis in the school until I removed them which took 2 weeks a 14x10 net and a fishing hook lmao

bigbanker said:
Thanks! Any thought on using river rock in the tank for base rock

River rock is usually very dense which doesn't allow for much BB compared to "reef" rock which is mainly made up of calcium and pourous from old coral skeletons layering on top of eachother

Mrc8858 said:
Don't usually disagree with you Dan but on this one I have to. I had a school of 5 and my full grown alpha male/female picked at my polyps and beat up the weakest chromis in the school until I removed them which took 2 weeks a 14x10 net and a fishing hook lmao

Wow ive never heard of that i guess ill change that the chromis ive had were docile :)

Id imagine it wouldn't have been that way if I had larger fish to intimidate them but they ran the tank with out a doubt and to this day couldn't tell you why but had an absolute hatred for my green glove polyps to the point he wasn't just biting but ripping and yanking them which was the final straw lol.

Mrc8858 said:
Id imagine it wouldn't have been that way if I had larger fish to intimidate them but they ran the tank with out a doubt and to this day couldn't tell you why but had an absolute hatred for my green glove polyps to the point he wasn't just biting but ripping and yanking them which was the final straw lol.

Dang sounds like it was possessed lol i was planning a small school in my 150g hope i have better luck or maybe go with small school of anthias instead

Sad day y'all!!!! So frustrating to hear on all accounts. I was hoping to luck out on the river rock too. Oh well.

I too looked at anthias but I'm seeing they need an established tank.... maybe three of them later?

I have three green chromis and they are docile, curious and funny little girls. They don't bother anyone in the tank or each other. They are very active swimmers and stuck together most of the time.

Beengirl said:
I have three green chromis and they are docile, curious and funny little girls. They don't bother anyone in the tank or each other. They are very active swimmers and stuck together most of the time.

How can you tell male or female chromis?

I can't tell. Lol. We've just come to call them "the girls" cuz can't name them cuz they look exactly alike. Lol

Beengirl said:

Aye! More info thank you.... it is greatly appreciated! What else do you have in your tank?

My Skimmer was supposed to be here tomorrow buttttttt the stupid thing is now on back order. Lame. Though this does have me thinking of a sump. How crazy would it be to have my sump outside of the stand?

I also have bangaii cardinal, starry blenny, royal gramma, yellow watchman/pistol pair, black/white clown.

Okay cool.... I'm currently following your 30g build as well.

Still thinking about this sump.... my stand does not have the space for a sump/refug. I'm wondering if it would be strange to have all of the plumbing and everything immediately to the right of the tank, build a cover up stand and make it like a table? Thoughts?

bigbanker said:
Okay cool.... I'm currently following your 30g build as well.

Still thinking about this sump.... my stand does not have the space for a sump/refug. I'm wondering if it would be strange to have all of the plumbing and everything immediately to the right of the tank, build a cover up stand and make it like a table? Thoughts?

Cool!! Glad you're following! Not a lot going on so far, gonna add 2 fish today cuz I'm cycled!! :) sorry, I don't know anything about sumps.

Back
Top Bottom