55g FOWLR newbie just double-checking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoJoe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, my first post here, been a wonderful resource setting up my first 55g FOWLR after being a freshwater keeper for years.

I've been doing my research and just wanted to check on a few quick things. I didn't want to go with a sump on my tank as I'm a bit unfamiliar with how they work and a bit worried since I'm renting a very nice apt. Any mishaps would be baaaad news. Also, if I don't need a canister or hob filter that would also be my desired route.

I don't want to skimp on anything and start the tank incorrectly, so, here's my equipment list and just wanted to get some input (hopefully positive):

- 60-80 lbs of precured live rock
- 60lbs of Arag-Alive sand (special grade)
- HOB AquaC Remora Skimmer with maxi-jet 1200
- pre-skimmer for the Remora (not sure if I really need this)
- 2 Hydor Koralia Pumps #2 (600gph too much flow?)

Since I'm starting fresh would it be dumb to buy live sand or pre-cured rock (I don't want to cure the rock seperately if it can be done in the tank during the cycle)?

Would I be good to go with this equipment? I plan to stock the tank lightly after it cycles and it will most likely end up housing a max of 6-8 fish that will grow no larger than 5" or so. I'm hoping the live rock, skimmer, Koralia's will be enough that I don't need other conventional filtration, that would be great.

Of course, it's understood I have the basics like heater, etc. & I'll be getting a refractometer, salt, etc. And weekly water changes & daily checks on levels and such.

Any help or insight would be most appreciated!

Thanks,
Joe

Thanks Tony, yes I have a Coralife aqualight that will be running 2 55w 50/50 bulbs.

Don't waste your money on live sand.
You can combine 75% base rock with 25% LR and cycle it with the tank.

I agree with just getting regular dry sand. Cheaper and will become live over time. I would just get the sand and rock and cure it and cycle the tank at the same time. Your lighting will be OK for a FOWLR tank but if you ever go reef you`ll need to upgrade but you probably already knew that.

BTW Welcome to AA

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I had a few quick questions, sorry if they seem a bit dumb:

Since I'm starting the tank fresh without any stock, do I just

- Load the sand in, load the live rock in (cured or pre-cured)

- turn on the protein skimmer (do I need to run this for cycling/curing?)

- wait and check params as the cycle begins

Those are the only things I'm confused on, will the live rock curing process get mixed up with the tank cycle?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

- Yes
- If you like, some folks use the skimmer during the cycle simply to break it in.
- Yep
I like to use 1 raw, unseasoned jumbo shrimp, per 30 gallons for my ammonia source. If you are using fully cured LR, then you can see a quicker cycle. (the raw shrimp is a lot cheaper)!

Welcome to the site.
You are asking good questions, most of which we all had at one time and will help future folks when they start out, so don't sweat it.

Oh yeah, we only ask for pics in return!

Last edited:
- Yes
- If you like, some folks use the skimmer during the cycle simply to break it in.
- Yep
I like to use 1 raw, unseasoned jumbo shrimp, per 30 gallons for my ammonia source. If you are using fully cured LR, then you can see a quicker cycle. (the raw shrimp is a lot cheaper)!

Welcome to the site.
You are asking good questions, most of which we all had at one time and will help future folks when they start out, so don't sweat it.

Oh yeah, we only ask for pics in return!

Thanks so much for the tips roka & melo.

I'm def going to use the skimmer during the cycling/curing process to break it in. I haven't fully decided on which live rock I will be getting, it helps to know I can cure it in the tank while it cycles instead of spending big $ on pre-cured.

I just would never have thought that I could support the tank's cycle on the live rock, skimmer, & weekly maintenence alone. It helped me be less worried about starting it all up.

Can't wait to get this all set-up & running, I will be posting lots I'm sure!

Thanks again!

- 60-80 lbs of precured live rock
- 60lbs of Arag-Alive sand (special grade)
- HOB AquaC Remora Skimmer with maxi-jet 1200
- pre-skimmer for the Remora (not sure if I really need this)
- 2 Hydor Koralia Pumps #2 (600gph too much flow?)

Would I be good to go with this equipment? I plan to stock the tank lightly after it cycles and it will most likely end up housing a max of 6-8 fish that will grow no larger than 5" or so. I'm hoping the live rock, skimmer, Koralia's will be enough that I don't need other conventional filtration, that would be great.

2 k2's are the perfect powerheads for the 55. I don't think anyone noticed but IMO 6-8 fish in a 55 would not me lightly stocked depending on the fish. i would consider 8 overstocked and 6 fully stocked. again depends on the fish. some require more room to swim than others.

2 k2's are the perfect powerheads for the 55. I don't think anyone noticed but IMO 6-8 fish in a 55 would not me lightly stocked depending on the fish. i would consider 8 overstocked and 6 fully stocked. again depends on the fish. some require more room to swim than others.

Thanks for the advice MD, I will definitely stay around 6 fish for my final load. I'm looking to keep smaller fish that will stay under 4"-5" max growth. I will most likely get stock advice when I'm ready to start.

Ordering all my equipment now, wish me luck! I will def post progress & pics when I'm up & running!

Getting more excited, ordered all my equipment and just deciding on where to get about 80lbs of Fiji live rock. Dang this stuff is expensive.

Since this is a new tank and I'll be curing/cycling everything, would I be ok with like

35lbs of Fiji Foundation Rock Saltwater Aquarium Live Rock for Marine Reef Aquariums: Fiji Foundation Rock

+

45lbs of Fiji Standard Rock Saltwater Live Rock for Marine Aquariums: Fiji Standard Live Rock

How's that? Any suggestions on where to buy, I have to order online but shipping is killing me on some sites.

Thanks!
Joe

Back
Top Bottom