55g reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscar98

Aquarium Advice Addict
It wont happen soon but now that i have my 150g set-up i will have an empty 55 or two. For christmas and my bday i want money for tanks lmao thats what i told my parents. So i will prob get around 4-600 so thats my budget maybe a little more but not much more.

1. Lighting that is somewhat cheap but will keep corals etc. alive.

2. What kind of filter?

3. Powerheads? Which ones and how many?

4. Will be getting 60-80lbs of live rock

5. Will pool filter sand work for live sand as i will probably cycle for a month+

6. Beginner corals erc..

Thanks to anyone that helps! Looking at around next january or febuary.

Get a 125 reef ready tank. either that or a 180....not a 150.
A 40 gallon breeder style tank as a sump, and i'll instruct you on how to partition it.
You will need 125-200 pounds of rock, not 60-80. Just buy dry rock. It's cheaper and will become live eventually.

pool filter sand will work.

you will need a good protein skimmer, rated for 1.5 to 2 times your total system volume.

Get a 125 reef ready tank. either that or a 180....not a 150.
A 40 gallon breeder style tank as a sump, and i'll instruct you on how to partition it.
You will need 125-200 pounds of rock, not 60-80. Just buy dry rock. It's cheaper and will become live eventually.

pool filter sand will work.

you will need a good protein skimmer, rated for 1.5 to 2 times your total system volume.

Its for a 55g tank not a 150.

Huh? So, it's a 55 gallon total? Well all advice applies, except for the amount of rock. 50-80 pounds of dry rock should be perfect. BTW, a 40 breeder style tank won't fit in the stand of a 55, so maybe a 20 long for a sump.

Huh? So, it's a 55 gallon total? Well all advice applies, except for the amount of rock. 50-80 pounds of dry rock should be perfect. BTW, a 40 breeder style tank won't fit in the stand of a 55, so maybe a 20 long for a sump.

Yes. I was saying i just setup my 150g cichlid tank so i dont have a huge budget for the 55. But will have around $400-$600.

1. What would a good lighting system be for a 55 reef.

2. Beginner corals

Idk anything about corals lol. All i know is you need is very clean water and good lighting.
Yep, but some corals need more light than others. You will be somewhat limited with that fixture, but it should keep you busy until you are ready for more advanced, higher light corals. That fixture will allow you a pretty good variety in the 55.

How much is that fixture?

If its more than a couple hundred you could go leds easier, and probably cheaper. Unless you get a used fixture.

The dimensions aren't ideal for a reef IME. Too deep top to bottom and only 18" front to back. A 180 is shallower top to bottom and 24" front to back. The bigger the footprint, and shallower a tank is, the better reef tank it will make. The aquascape is easier, sand bed space is better, and reaching the bottom is easier. Also, until LEDs arrived, lighting a deeper tank was more expensive.

For 380, you could have leds easy.

Go on amazon or ebay and search "taotronics"
2 of those dimmed would work for any coral.

Well I got a 150 and that just sucks balls mine is 6 ft x 29 x 19 so that sucks
I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying some tanks might work better, unless you have arms like these....
orangutan_bernas_dumadi_ZA_5326-(2).jpg

Mine is over 30" deep and it makes it a challenge to clean, but I also like having a tall rock wall to display corals on. Some fish, like tangs need the horizontal room to swim in, so in general width over depth.

Back
Top Bottom