55g reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
****** I just found tod dead. Been dead for a couple hours as he was stiff as a board, he was fine last night and ate like a pig as usual. I'm guessing the kids must have spooked him since he is easily scared and crashes into everything when he gets spooked.

kdpuffer said:
****** I just found tod dead. Been dead for a couple hours as he was stiff as a board, he was fine last night and ate like a pig as usual. I'm guessing the kids must have spooked him since he is easily scared and crashes into everything when he gets spooked.

Awww so sad im sorry kd thats a bummer:(

He was kinda retarded, like I say he crashed into everything if spooked so that's my best guess. I know it isnt a water issue as i just did a change plus my sps is looking great. On a plus my bio load shrunk big time. I almost got an engineer goby the shop had one about 6 inches long for cheap but opted for the orange spot instead as they are a little bolder. He is already sifting like mad, my tank looks like a hurricane just went through lol. Both fish seem healthy as they are both eating like pigs. I went to three different shops and ended up getting reminded why I always like the one shop best. They always have really nice stock and quality healthy specimens.

Attachments

• image-880229907.jpg
    image-880229907.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 120
  • image-597608251.jpg
    image-597608251.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 71
Since I'm sitting infront of the tank here are some pics. My new acro and birdsnest aswell as the new zoas (Id on color morph names welcome) also threw in a fts and another pic of the new firefish by my candycane. That candy started off with 3 heads splitting off new ones on two heads to now having over 20 heads.

Attachments

• image-325466.jpg
    image-325466.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 59
  • image-1373811509.jpg
    image-1373811509.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 88
  • image-3521557796.jpg
    image-3521557796.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 86
  • image-1231165641.jpg
    image-1231165641.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 81
  • image-526480931.jpg
    image-526480931.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 68
  • image-3581583460.jpg
    image-3581583460.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 63
And here is what I did with the top. It's eggcrate (light diffuser) with window screen. The window screen is only held in place by the eggcrate but once I get to work Monday ill grab some tie wraps and actually tie it in place. The eggcrate didn't really reduce the light but the screen sure did so hopefully it won't be to bad for my sps I just really wanna deter carpet surfing. I was ready to buy a DIY screen kit but had a light bulb come on and figured I could get a better shape with the eggcrate and put screen on that and end up with a better fit with minimal to no openings. Saves monkeying around with screen frame not to mention a better fit and it was way cheaper.

Attachments

• image-3641665513.jpg
    image-3641665513.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 64

Link to a vid of the goby. He came out of hiding and is sifting like maaaaaaaaaaaad. If he keeps sifting the way he is I am going to be uber happy. He is dropping the sand right where he grabs it so no buried corals.

Also it appears my clowns may spawn. They are working together to clean a corner of the tank. Oh and I finally named them, anikin and padmei from Star Wars. My spelling is likely way off lol.

Ya I was sad when I found him, poor guy. That fish was so pretty and active. But honestly my tank does seem way more peaceful without him. My blenny hated him and chomped him everytime he swam by. Love your new wrasse, I was originally looking for a wrasse but everyone had firefish and I have wanted one since day one and the best reef shop in Edmonton had some so I bought. They get all their fish from the place in LA that the show tanked gets theirs.

Thanks for the kudos on names. I decided tonight everyone got a name. Ember is the firefish, king is the goby and Luke's parents obviously. We also have bubba the shrimp (thanks Forrest Gump) Santana the Pom Pom crab(daughter loves Glee) all snails got the name Gary lol.

Well the new additions are doing well so far. Everyone is eating like pigs and the goby has cleaned up the sand big time. The goby and firefish are good buds and sleep in the gobys burrow. All coral are looking great, I did a major cleaning yesterday and changed out my carbon and GFO. I also found what kind of montipora I got- it's a rainbow monti. Here is a pic of one of my most elusive creatures I spotted this morning. This is Santana the Pom Pom crab. I also nuked some aiptasia that has reappeared which seemed to work well.

Attachments

• image-2506541024.jpg
    image-2506541024.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 67
Back
Top Bottom