Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #171
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
So nothing New added to the tank but I did find some interesting things. First off on my torch it looks like part of the skeleton is flaking off, on closer inspection it moves!!!!!. I suspect it's a clam or something as it appears to have a mantle, it's usually open but closes when disturbed. The other find was some tiny little shrimp/lobster looking things. They are about an eighth of an inch long and transparent, they move very fast so I couldn't get a picture but they have a tail just like a shrimp/lobster.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #172
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Kd,
The small shrimp-like things sound like Copepods.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #173
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I think your right, I'm just used to seeing them as tiny white dots on the glass. I looked up images and there are some that definitely fit the bill. I always wondered how a mandarin can stay fat and full on such tiny bugs, they ain't so tiny lol.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #174
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer
Yeah I think your right, I'm just used to seeing them as tiny white dots on the glass. I looked up images and there are some that definitely fit the bill. I always wondered how a mandarin can stay fat and full on such tiny bugs, they ain't so tiny lol.
There are so many different types of pods, it's crazy! I think Mandarins prefer the smaller sperm-like Amphipods and such. And they eat so darn many, it's like us surviving on popcorn. We would have to eat 3000 kernels a day to live. I've often thought the same about the Copperband, how can a fish that big survive on pods alone? When I got mine, it was eating Mysis, and it still cleaned out my 180, in about a month! Luckily, I've got a fuge to steadily replenish, but there was a massive population reduction!
Best of luck with your tank, Kd.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #175
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hey toby good to see ya around!

Yeah kd, that basically sums it up haha ^. Picky eaters for sure..were you thinking about getting one? I forget! Tank sounds like it is doing great bro
Old 07-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #176
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya I want a mandarin eventually. I am thinking of building a DIY hob fuge then I'll get one.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #177
Aquarium Advice Addict

so i was just looking back through this thread and realized i havent added any pics in a while other than my torch coral. i will take some tonight after water change and upload them. while i was looking back i stumbled across the section asking for input on gobies and after another look that rainfords goby looks pretty sweet.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #178
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer
so i was just looking back through this thread and realized i havent added any pics in a while other than my torch coral. i will take some tonight after water change and upload them. while i was looking back i stumbled across the section asking for input on gobies and after another look that rainfords goby looks pretty sweet.
Sweet man im excited!!

Is it you who has an engineer? I think its armyman that has an engineer. I forgot
Old 08-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #179
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66 View Post
Sweet man im excited!!

Is it you who has an engineer? I think its armyman that has an engineer. I forgot
no i dont have an engineer, but im guessing you would recommend it lol. yours is awesome. i want something small as i want to keep bioload to minimum. on another note i stumbled across something on the weekend that i started a thread about but was quickly buried in the ongoing "is this aiptasia" or "is this bad" battle for supremacy. as many of us know its a royal pain to capture the full color and magnificence of our corals in pictures to share with the world. well i stumbled across an aid in that department. while waiting to leave i was looking at my tank with my sunglasses on and noticed the colors to be very vivid, this was under actinics btw. so i then thought " i wonder how this would work on my iphone?" well long story short it worked awesome and ill add some comparison photos when i upload pics later.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #180
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Actually, sorta the opposite hahaha! I love mine..but he is stirring up my sand so much its really limiting coral placements.

Woah thats a sweet find! Im pumped for pics

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Rasp | Chemicals »