Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
On another note, I have some time ahead of me for decisions and am looking for suggestions on what fish to get. Clowns are a must and I will be going with a pair. I like the firefish and the different wrasses and blennies. I wanted to add something larger and Angels are out cause I don't want to risk the coral I will be adding. I really like the kole tang and have found mixed responses. Most sites say 75g min but my 55g is a 4' and the way I will be doing my rock scape is to keep it open instead of the typical heap of rock. Input and suggestions are welcome so fire away.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is my stock list for a 66 gallon tank. Your tank should be better for these fish though because mine is just over 3 feet long. You could get these fish in a 55 g, but maybe cut out 1-2 unless your bioload can keep up

1 occerellis clownfish (maybe 2)
1 dragonette (added in a very long time)
1 Orange stripe prawn goby
1 Fairy wrasse
1 Flame angel
1 chalk bass
1 midas blenny
1 FoxFace Lo
1 Schooling bannerfish

As it stands. Too much is on the list but i cant decide what to cut out!!

Old 04-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not going to go crazy with fish but I will with coral. I'm pretty set on a pair of clowns, I really want some picasso's. I also really want a nice center piece fish like a kole tang and I think it's doable as long as I'm smart with my rockscape. Other than that it's kinda open, I likely won't get wrasse as they are known for carpet surfing but don't know if blennies have the same reputation. I do like the look of a blenny perched up on a rock watching the world go by.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha alright well i hope my list helped! I would definitly get a midas blenny, they are super cool! Do you have a rimless tank?? I would TOTALLY get a wrasse if you have a full top, they are super cool to watch. So you like coral much more? Any thought about which ones you may want?
Old 04-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love the coral that's the main reason I'm doing the reef. I know I want a green torch, I had one in my old 29g for all of 2 days till my urchin knocked it down ontop of my nem. It was the nicest torch coral I've ever seen in a store I was bummed. I also want a brain they cool awesome, likely some zoas and I have come to really like the monti. I also like the duncans and candy canes and am still undecided on gsp. I really like the look of gsp but hear it can really take over.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like all of the corals that you just mentioned! Haha dont hesitate about the gsp it is awesome. I put my frag on the sand bed with tons of rubble around it so when i spreads it will be on a nice rubble frag and i could easily sell it to the lfs. The lfs sells gsp frags at a good price so i could make some money that way. Gsp also looks great on the back of your tank is you can get it to grow back there!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well maybe I'll give the gsp a shot, it all depends on what sort of space I have left. There are a number of corals I really want which will come before a gsp. I would also like some nice colorful sps as my lighting should be able to handle it- 6x54w t5ho. I'm more a fan of LPS but would like to throw some SPS in to mix up the look. After sleeping in it I think I will try the kole tang and set my rock up to maximize swimming area. I did get a report from home last night(I work out of town all week) that I have a diatom bloom so hopefully that clears up sooner than later.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:12 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well home from work and made a couple stops on the way, unrelated my paintball gun came in, related I had a look at the reef tank I posted about on page 1. It's a 27g I believe with t5 lighting and some fish and loads of coral. He has a nice purple brain, some mushrooms and polyps. Also has a devils hand, a few nems and what I think is a Duncan. What he had most of was hair algae, I mean loads. He has been using tap water and I suspect he has the wrong bulbs. My father in law is going to take the tank and most inhabitants I'm taking the brain, suspected Duncan and yellow feather duster, I forgot to mention the two feather dusters and the electric clam, that thing is awesome I'm taking that too mwah ha ha. Not like he can complain its a free tank. I am an electrician so struck a deal to hook up his hot tub next week and he gives me the setup and stand, I want some of the coral and the father in law wants the rest- win win. While I cycle the critters I'm taking are going to stay in his tank.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:12 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

unrevised fish stock list

well im sure the tang police will jump on here but wth.

kole yellow eye tang
pair of picasso clownfish
firefish ( i really like the purple firefish)

and one or two of the following
bicolor blenny
midas blenny
tailspot blenny

i am unsure of blennies reputations for carpet surfing, i know wrasses and gobies are known for this. i really dont want to worry about finding fish on the floor, nor do i want to subject the kids to the horror of finding them so please share your experiences. i picked these blennies for thier contributions to tank cleaning and ease of care, man i love google.

onn a side note, after the previous post i am left with some extra tanks as the father inlaw was going to take my 45g long as a planted freshwater which left my 29 empty, the 45 is gone no matter what but im considering turning the 29 into a dwarf seahorse tank. what do you all think?
Old 04-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your tank is 4' correct? If so, just make sure you leave alot of open swimming room with your rock structure and i think a small kole tang would be a good addition. Get the clowns and firefish, but i would only get one blenny due to the agression. Get the midas and maybe a cool goby/pistol shrimp pair? That would be cool because i LOVE my pistol shrimp! Blennys and firefish are known to jump so make sure you have any openings nomadder how small covered. As for the seahorse tank....i would get the 55 running smooth and then think about that. But if i was in your position i would make the 55 a fowler with a snowflake eel, dwarf lionfish and angler. Then turn the 29 into a nano reef with 4-5 small nano fish and tons of corals

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Rasp | Chemicals »