Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #231
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
I do water changes every week or two max. Usually in the range of 10-15g at a time and I have been watching my KH decline for a while but now it's really low and I need to bring it up. I'll run a test on my mix water as I'm doing a change tonight and we will see where it's at. I do have a different salt mix with less calcium but I haven't checked it to see what alkalinity it mixes to.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #232
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well a quick google search yielded some results.

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

This is a link to a calculator that suggests 3.8 tbs of baking soda to reach desired KH. It also cautions that a slight drop in ph is to be expected. I will give it a whirl tonight after a water change depending on what my KH ends up being. If it does drop what can a person use to raise the ph?

Old 09-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #233
Aquarium Advice Addict

Baking soda will take your pH to about 8.2. So yes, it may lower it, but it may raise it as well. Commercial buffers are designed with a target pH in mind for aquariums. In addition to bicarbonates, they will also have other components that will allow a higher pH endpoint.
So baking soda can help achieve a higher Alk quickly and cheaply. But don't use it exclusively.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:07 AM   #234
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well my ph was at about 8.0 prior to adding baking soda. I added about 1 cup of rodi mixed with 1/2 tbs of baking soda and for a laugh I started trying to measure the kh of the rodi and baking soda and got tired of adding drops at 20 dKH. Hopefully that will help. I've also adjusted my powerheads to aim more upwards to help with the ph so we will see what happens. I have a water change prepared but didn't get to it tonight as I was busy after work but tomorrow will be the day. I also added a little baking soda to my top off water so hopefully I can get things stabilized. I will continue to monitor the ph and kh and see what happens and post what I find in the process.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #235
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know im a few pages shy on topic but if you power head is running in reverse all i do is pop off head and tap the propeller it will begin going the other way.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #236
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not running in reverse. Koralias have a rubber bumper to prevent it. I ran my powerheads on a wave maker and two of them went into reverse and actually broke the bumper right off. To fix it I just plug them in and unplug them till they start going the right way. Koralia is sending me a new grill I'm just waiting for it to arrive.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #237
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer
It's not running in reverse. Koralias have a rubber bumper to prevent it. I ran my powerheads on a wave maker and two of them went into reverse and actually broke the bumper right off. To fix it I just plug them in and unplug them till they start going the right way. Koralia is sending me a new grill I'm just waiting for it to arrive.
My one must be broken then because occasionally i will it running in reverse.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #238
Aquarium Advice Addict

It very well could be, either the bumper fell off or the front grill broke. On another note, I got my all up with baking soda and it didn't effect my ph. I adjusted my powerheads to create more surface agitation and it seems to have balanced the ph. Also I cut a couple mushrooms off and traded for some new additions. I got a toadstool leather and a frag of what I believe to be digitata. Just finished acclimation so I'll try to grab some pics if they open up. Other than that no real news other than my GSP seems to have shrunk which I suspect is due to the flow change with the powerheads having crapped out on me. I'm going to tweak them some to try to increase flow and get some polyp extension back. My two milli have also reduced the amount they are extending. Prior to the powerhead issues they were doing great, great extension and phenomenal color. Now the polyps are retracted somewhat.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:42 AM   #239
Aquarium Advice Addict

So here are the two new corals. I don't know what's up with it but the one rock with the new suspected digitata is the only rock in the tank with algae and my fox face and blenny won't touch it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-775652156.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	117576   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3933164755.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	117577  

Old 09-09-2012, 02:47 AM   #240
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lovin it! I would go in there and grab that stuff by hand! Lol

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Rasp | Chemicals »