Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alberta canada
Posts: 2,360
Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Thanks for the suggestions, it is a 4' and just to reiterate I am not doing just the seahorse tank anytime soon. My 55 has a long way to go yet and that's priority. I only ask cause if it's a bad idea or ridiculously hard to keep them I am gonna get rid of my 29g if it's feasible then I'll hold onto it.
__________________

__________________
kdpuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
redsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 8,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, it is a 4' and just to reiterate I am not doing just the seahorse tank anytime soon. My 55 has a long way to go yet and that's priority. I only ask cause if it's a bad idea or ridiculously hard to keep them I am gonna get rid of my 29g if it's feasible then I'll hold onto it.
IMO, Seahorses aren't too hard to keep if they are eating and you keep up on water changes.
__________________

__________________
Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
180 gallon reef announcement!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMgmb124jrs&t=35s
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:11 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alberta canada
Posts: 2,360
Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Well plans kinda went screwy for the better today, the other tank I made a deal for electrical work changed to a tank swap. I got the 27g reef for a 45g long freshwater setup. I actually made the swap today it basically took all day to clean transport breakdown/setup transport and clean but man that reef tank looks good now. He had red aquarium gravel mixed into the cc sand which we sifted and removed. He had the system in all sorts of disarray caused by using tap water and improper maintenance. The algae was horrible so we scrubbed the LR and cleaned the sand bed along with a water change using rodi and cleaned up the filtration. After all is said and done it looks awesome. There is some nice coral in there along with many inverts. I snagged some snails to help keep my tank clean while it cycles provided they survive. So in the tank there is- devils hand, brain coral, green fuzzy mushrooms, a few anemones I don't know what they are, a few different corals I don't know, flame scallop(this thing is awesome) a couple large feather dusters(brown and yellow) fox coral, a spotted damsel, striped damsel, yellow tail damsel, oscilleris clown, blenny, dotty back,, emerald crab, light foot crab, some hermits. The father in law is in love I think lol, he is very happy with the tank and it just fuels my desire to add to mine. Include are a couple pics, the dude giving the thumbs up is the after and the other is the before. We are headin to the city next weekend so I can grab the rest of my LR and my sand. The FIL is going to join me and I'll make him drool at the reef shop lol. He wants to pick up salt, like that's all he will buy. Going back to the stock in his tank, all the damsels seem to be doing ok as there is no singled put fish, they all have thier territory and the aggression is spread out. Would they be ok to remain or should we look at rehoming?
__________________
kdpuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:25 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alberta canada
Posts: 2,360
Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Where is a good place to get an ATO and rodi units? I really need to get both and don't want to break the bank so please share.
__________________
kdpuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:17 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alberta canada
Posts: 2,360
Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
So got home from work and grabbed a water sample and took it to a buddies to test (test kit hasn't arrived yet) and all levels are good, I had hoped as much having purchased rock straight from a display tank. Tomorrow I was heading to the city to get my sand and am now going to add my CUC, well part of my cleanup crew. I'm just gonna get a handful of snails and an emerald crab or two and maybe toss in a hermit. I'll post some updated pics after everything is in. I'm excited to start making this tank look like something. On another note the 27g I setup for the father in law has shown progress, cleaner shrimp has molted and all critters are settled and either opened up or roaming around. The best part is his clown fish has taken up residence in one of his nems. He has three oddball looking nems, two of which are side by side and that's where the clown chose so he actually hosts two.
__________________
kdpuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alberta canada
Posts: 2,360
Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Well got rock and sand in the tank, the sand made a huge cloudy mess so I have to wait to get pics. I also picked up a CUC, got a red stripe hermit, 2 nassarius snails, a few normal snails, a couple star snails and I got a couple small cheap frags- 5 head candy cane, a couple small colonies of polyps not sure what kind but they looked nice and were dirt cheap.
__________________
kdpuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
kelly0707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Random Lake, WI
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer
Well plans kinda went screwy for the better today, the other tank I made a deal for electrical work changed to a tank swap. I got the 27g reef for a 45g long freshwater setup. I actually made the swap today it basically took all day to clean transport breakdown/setup transport and clean but man that reef tank looks good now. He had red aquarium gravel mixed into the cc sand which we sifted and removed. He had the system in all sorts of disarray caused by using tap water and improper maintenance. The algae was horrible so we scrubbed the LR and cleaned the sand bed along with a water change using rodi and cleaned up the filtration. After all is said and done it looks awesome. There is some nice coral in there along with many inverts. I snagged some snails to help keep my tank clean while it cycles provided they survive. So in the tank there is- devils hand, brain coral, green fuzzy mushrooms, a few anemones I don't know what they are, a few different corals I don't know, flame scallop(this thing is awesome) a couple large feather dusters(brown and yellow) fox coral, a spotted damsel, striped damsel, yellow tail damsel, oscilleris clown, blenny, dotty back,, emerald crab, light foot crab, some hermits. The father in law is in love I think lol, he is very happy with the tank and it just fuels my desire to add to mine. Include are a couple pics, the dude giving the thumbs up is the after and the other is the before. We are headin to the city next weekend so I can grab the rest of my LR and my sand. The FIL is going to join me and I'll make him drool at the reef shop lol. He wants to pick up salt, like that's all he will buy. Going back to the stock in his tank, all the damsels seem to be doing ok as there is no singled put fish, they all have thier territory and the aggression is spread out. Would they be ok to remain or should we look at rehoming?
I had to trade my damsels in they got aggressive towards everybody...the bigger they get the more aggressive they get. Practically tore the whole tank down to catch the little buggers!!

Good luck!
__________________
kelly0707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:04 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
kelly0707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Random Lake, WI
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer
Where is a good place to get an ATO and rodi units? I really need to get both and don't want to break the bank so please share.
A lot of people get the ro units from bulk reef supply I am hoping to get one some day ...they have a group buy and you can get it for around 180 when they have that.
__________________
kelly0707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:17 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly0707

A lot of people get the ro units from bulk reef supply I am hoping to get one some day ...they have a group buy and you can get it for around 180 when they have that.
Next group buy starts Monday so contact Carey ASAP If you want in people
__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:12 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alberta canada
Posts: 2,360
Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858

Next group buy starts Monday so contact Carey ASAP If you want in people
I was going to order my rodi from aquasafecanada.com, I will deffinately look into the brs group order though thanks for the heads up.
__________________

__________________
kdpuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Rasp | Chemicals »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Porc Chop's Tank Hondatek Members Saltwater Tanks Showcase 1660 05-31-2014 05:23 PM
Doug's 250, now 300, in wall build mr_X Members Saltwater Tanks Showcase 1901 02-06-2014 01:04 PM
Nu Nu and Gboy's 66 gallon Red Sea Max build Nu-Nu the eel Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 855 06-02-2012 05:04 PM
Ibrahim's 150g FOWLR Build Ibrahim Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 261 05-30-2012 12:37 PM
Scott's DIY 10 Gallon Nano Build scottayy Members Saltwater Tanks Showcase 321 05-30-2012 01:51 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.