Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2012, 02:18 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
So I have been checking on this through the evening and after a few hours absence my tank is virtually crystal clear I was unsure of sandbed depth so I got 60lbs of sand and holy bleep did it end up deep. Nothing wrong with a dsb, I like it. I got 40lbs of reef sand and 20 lbs of live sand which contain massive amounts of pods. I am so happy my tank actually looks like something now. Now the process of adding the new stock and throwing the clowns back in. My scape is no professional job but I would appreciate any input on it.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:29 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

And on a side note- we picked up some new bulbs for the father in laws tank ( 1 10,000k and 1 actinic 22" t5ho) and man what a difference. He picked up some nice corals today aswell. He got a nice branching hammer and candy cane aswell as a nice pulsing Xenia. I do have some unknown items in his tank I would appreciate input on. The second photo is an anemone I I am lost as to what kind but his clown likes it and has taken up host. The others are misc corals that came with the tank and I am lost so any help would be awesome.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well just got back from the city and got more stuff. I picked up a couple koralia 1050's so I have over 2000 gph flow plus my skimmer and canister. I also added to my CUC with a few emerald crabs, a cleaner shrimp and a bunch of asteria snails. I also got rid of the last of my freshwater fish and got a 4 head green with purple tip branching frogspawn. I'll add some pics once they acclimate a while longer. The tank is really starting to come together. I'll be ordering my rodi this week aswell as my ato.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

So here are some pics, we got the emerald "lumber jack" crab workin away in the forest of algae. The gsp I thought I had buried when I put my sand in, found it in the forest of algae. Then is my new frogspawn under full light followed by actinic only. Last is my cleaner shrimp. I can't wait to get my rodi and start getting rid of the algae.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Love the frogspawn, looks great.

Yep, ro/di is the way to go no doubt about it.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Carey, I wanted a torch but they didn't have what I was looking for so I opted for the frogspawn. I'm very particular about what I want for my torch as its going to be my centerpiece coral, I'm looking for a very bright green or very bright green and purple. Yes rodi is way better I'm just waiting for my PayPal fund transfer to complete so I can order it and my ato.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

So got home from yet another week away and my tank is ravaged with algae, only on one rock and the back glass/over flow boxes. Any recommendations on how to get rid of it? My rodi won't be in till Tuesday and I won't be home till Friday and wanted to avoid a water change but I think it's time, tap water is my only option. I was also planning to physically remove as much as I can and hopefully my snails can get on it. I also turned my lights down by 2 hours, actinics from 10-8 and daylight from 8-6. I have been reading online and fear the algae species. I don't recall the name but I read it can be a nightmare to control. I may pick up an AC 110 to throw on as make shift fuge till I build one, that's right planning a DIY. Honestly should have done that with my lights being an electrician and all, face palm now lol. Other than the algae everything looks good, frogspawn is fully open and happy, GSP seems to have grown by about 1/2 inch and zoas seem to be growing. My mushrooms are growing and spreading like mad, also didn't realize they can actually move. One of the big shrooms has moved itself about an inch to get better light and the largest has grown by 1/4-1/2 inch in diameter since Sunday.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'd get as much of the algae out that you can, even go in and pull some if need be. And a water change is in your future, not sure if it should be alarge one or not as you are using tap water right now. :-( Have you tried running some GFO to suck up some of the phosphates that are coming in with the tap water? It can make a huge difference....
Old 05-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

No haven't tried gfo, I actually picked up some water from the supermarket so I'm going to get it mixing and do the change tomorrow. Ten gallons is all I got for now, once I get it mixing I'll likely go get ten more so I can do a good size change.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Don't be afraid of doing too much of a water change. If I have issues i"m not above doing a 50% change. I used to do 10g a week on my 55g and it worked pretty well. Now I do like 40g changes on my 125g only cause it's such a pain to do. lol

Water changes will be key in getting that algae under control. The gfo that you might find is called rowaphos, most lfs's sell it. Just put it in a filter bag and make sure it gets flow through it. It can go in a sump or a canister or even a hangon back filter. Great stuff ...

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Rasp | Chemicals »