55g tall build need advise...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Medevack1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all this is my 1st tank its a 55gal tall i have 60+ lbs of live rock, 20lbs of live sand, coralife lighting, reef octopus protein skimmer, and marineland penguin 350 filter. the tank ots been set up for over a month now.

Fish: 1 Naso Tang, 1 Yellow Tang, 2 clowns, 1 PJ cardinal, 1 blue cleaner wrasse, 1 yellow watch goby and pistol shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp and a banded shrimp, 5 snails, 5 hermit crabs.

Coral, 1 Organ pipe coral, 1 Devils leather hand, 2 green pylops, several mushrooms, and birds nest coral.

ANY ADVISE WILL BE WELCOME!!!!!!

ty

img_1691702_0_46137bed5417b73cb74924d9c1b67fbd.jpg

img_1691702_1_a7b1d9962dfb0727284db95ca2dc9b9b.jpg

img_1691702_2_ee3880c0fcec7077c245064bfc327c96.jpg

img_1691702_3_624c4383edaf09507da08885e3744c1a.jpg

img_1691702_4_fb3ac0e00caef05a41ee6a8477f1b611.jpg

img_1691702_5_b6414359cb50423627762152a62df1f4.jpg

What are you looking for advice about?

Things I see of concern are:

Naso Tang, and yellow tang need MUCH larger tanks. Also the birdsnest coral is very difficult and needs really good lighting.

If you remove the tangs, I think that your stock looks good. I wouldn't add any more fish even after removing the tangs.

Liveaquaria says:

"The Naso Tang, also known as the Orangespine Unicornfish, darkens with maturity. Naso Tangs from Hawaii are often more brightly colored than those found in other areas. As a juvenile, the Naso Tang from Hawaii is dark gray with a blue stripe following along the dorsal fin and an orange stripe in the anal fin. When matured, the body takes on a reddish-brown tone and the juvenile striping is supplemented with additional color. The tail takes on a lyre shape with a yellow vertical bar towards the back. Two orange patches appear at the peduncle spines near the tail. The face undergoes the largest change. A thin, black mask forms between the eyes and mouth. The mask is outlined with bright yellow and the lips develop a reddish-orange color.

A 180 gallon or larger aquarium is necessary to provide plenty of swimming room, and places to hide, with a tight-fitting lid provided to prevent jumping to escape. It is aggressive towards other tangs, but peaceful with other fish in the tank."

"Though most common to the reefs of Hawaii, the Yellow Hawaiian Tang's natural habitat is actually widespread throughout Indonesia and the Great Barrier Reef. The Yellow Hawaiian Tang is also known as the Yellow Sailfin Tang or Yellow Surgeonfish. For best care, it should be housed in an aquarium of at least 100 gallons with ample room to swim. Like other Tangs, this member of the Acanthuridae family demonstrates territorial aggression towards its own species, or Tangs in general. Therefore, it is best to keep just one Yellow Hawaiian Tang per aquarium, unless multiple Yellow Hawaiian Tangs are introduced into the system simultaneously."

i would take back the naso tang, and eventually the yellow. they won't do well in that small tank. they will eventually start to show signs of stress, lowered immune systems, and then die from something like ich or similar. tangs are open water swimmers. they need a large tank. the naso especially. i would not keep one in anything less than 6' aquarium.

what lighting are you running?

awesome thank you guys for the advise!!!!!! im planning on upgrading in the near future to a bigger tank

A very nice looking tank. You have several nice places to add some frags depending on your light you could go with some sps or lps.

I agree your tank looks great, but you should probably look into that upgrade pretty soon. Those tnags cant live confortably in that small of a tank. Watch out for agression between your shrimp, piston and banded shrimp are agressive

Thank you!!!! also how can i get rid of the green algie on the glass......

You are going to have to clean that either with a razor blade or an old gift card. I use both when I clean the glass of my tanks. I am very careful around the silicon so I don't damage it that is why I use the gift card. I clean it that way with every water change and in between the water changes I use a mag float.

How do u like ur reefoctopus skimmer. I don't have one yet and was going to buy one

Back
Top Bottom