55g to 75g Upgrade worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
The same guy I got my 55g setup from now has a 75g tank and stand only for about $120. is it worth it for the extra water volume? I was intending on upgrading to a 125 by years end but am antsy now LOL.

I would be able to use the same lighting, skimmer and maybe filter (fluval 305). I have over 80lbs of LR in the 55g already so I guess I would need sand though.

Does it sound liek a decent upgrade? The tank is not drilled. i do however have an overflow and wet/dry filter but I don't think that would cut it for a reef.

Help, any thoughts? What would you do? keep in mind it would be ALOT of work to do the switchover.

Here's the link for the tank. I bet I could get it for $50 and the stand for the same. Just can't see the stand, but it says it's black. I did an excellent job painting the brown trim on my 125g so I can easily make this one match.

I know a 75g would allow me to get more fish and would be alot easier to rockscape with the extra width. But is it really worth it for 20 gallons?

Anyone do the upgrade? I'm so torn. Part of me wants to wait til years end but the other part says an upgrade at this price is cool.
http://orlando.craigslist.org/for/2349157453.html

Funny ... I had similar thoughts myself .. but then reality hit me when I realize I have no available safe (with a 6 and 3 year olds running around) space for a 125.

Here's a though, would getting the 75 Gallon now prevent you from getting the 125 gallon .... would you lose the space reserved for the 125 and then have second thoughts later. I'd say wait for the 125 Gallon, use the $$$ to get all the bells and whistles you want.

The 75 is the same length as the 55g just further from the wall by i think 5 inches. So I def have the room. Thats the space the 125g will go in, it's almost a 7 foot spot.

I would have to move the 55g across the room to an open wall then place the 75g where the 55g was. then I'd have to do the move over.

I planned on doing the same thing when i get the 125g, moving the 55g to the same wall and sliding the 6 footer right in.

I don't think financially it will have an impact on a 125 in my future.

another thing, this guy also has a predrilled 125g for like $800 which I know I could get him down to $650 for sure. I could trade him my 55g setup that I bought from him months ago plus my 29g sw setup I started with. BUT if I do that now I won't have the money for the lighting and additonal rock I'd need.

It's ironic, the 125g is right there and a few hundred bucks is between me and it.

Well ... your second scenario complicates it. Get the 125 now or later (at the risk of someone else snatching it up) you could always get the 125 now, do the trades, do what you can and wait until you get the funds for the light, rocks etc

... but I imagine that would almost be torture having such a big tank sitting somewhat idle ;-)

I'm no expert, but going by the work you said you'd have to do to get the 75 up to par ... I don't see big benefit for the additional 20 Gallons. In fact, that's what's keeping me from upgrading from my 75gal to a 90 gal. It would be soooo much work for an additional 3 inches of height.

Sorry ... hit the post button too quick ... I'd still wait till years end if it means you get the 125 with all the materials needed.

IMHO Wait I have a 55 gal. now and am waiting for my 320 gal the hardest thing is passing up the deals i see right now :(

Well ... your second scenario complicates it. Get the 125 now or later (at the risk of someone else snatching it up) you could always get the 125 now, do the trades, do what you can and wait until you get the funds for the light, rocks etc

... but I imagine that would almost be torture having such a big tank sitting somewhat idle ;-)

I'm no expert, but going by the work you said you'd have to do to get the 75 up to par ... I don't see big benefit for the additional 20 Gallons. In fact, that's what's keeping me from upgrading from my 75gal to a 90 gal. It would be soooo much work for an additional 3 inches of height.

if I did the trades now I would have to move the 55g contents right into the 125g the same day. I don't roll like that. LOL I'd rather have a few days in between to stabilize the tank and get my rock just so. I also have corals that would need immediate light, i could move them to my biocube but not too sure how the sps would do in there and I have quite a few.

I'm wondering how much cash it would take plus my 29g setup to get him to sell it (125g). If it were the trade and say $200 bucks i could store it in the garage and wait while I got the proper equipment.

If you can't tell I'm hungry for an upgrade. But with my luck a better deal will come along right after i do it.

600 is kinda high for the 125 I just got my 180 pre drilled for 250

Decisions, choices, options... Sometimes they can drive you nuts. Well... You can always go with the old tried & true method .... Flip a coin! :)

Back
Top Bottom