55G vs 40B

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nytelighter

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking to dive into the world of saltwater and was debating on which tank to go with. From the research I've done, I'm aware that the 55G will give me more water volume and therefore better stability but on the downside it is a bit narrower than the 40B and can affect scaping and swimming room for fish. Planning on it being a reef tank. (I have a 55G freshwater that I can convert but also eyeing a 40B on CL). Please chime in with you opinions/experience so I can get a feel for which way to go.

I'd say 55. Saltwater fish need a lot of room for swimming. There is also a longer length given. What kind of fish are you thinking about having?

For right now the only fish that come to mind are a pair of clowns, a firefish, and maybe a goby. Not that savvy with saltwater fish yet. Thanks for the info. I was really looking into the 40B tanks because they are so much wider and scaping will be so much easier as you can have more room behind the rocks.

If you want smaller fish, and more coral...go with the 40. Better for aquascaping. But, bigger is almost ALWAYS better! :)

Thanks GBoy...I was kinda thinking along the same lines. I've seen a couple 40B online that had pretty awesome scaping and nice open swimming room in the middle. I could just go Rick James and just up to a 75G. Aren't those as wide as the 40B?

Nytelighter said:
Thanks GBoy...I was kinda thinking along the same lines. I've seen a couple 40B online that had pretty awesome scaping and nice open swimming room in the middle. I could just go Rick James and just up to a 75G. Aren't those as wide as the 40B?

Yes i do think they are roughly the same width. Go to live aquaria, pick out some species you like, and report back! Bigger/more active the fish, bigger the tank is recommended!!

I thought 40Bs were about 36" and 55s were 48". I'm probably off. It's been a long time since I last saw a 40B.

You'll have a bigger selection of fish that need a 50gal or more. Less selection if u go under 50g. And you can get more fish in a 55 than a 40. Once you start lookin at fish, there'll be a lot fish u wanna get.

Nytelighter said:
40B is longer front to back than a 55G.

Mrc8858 said:
Imo either go 40b or 75 no 55.... Just my opinion :)

Right on. I think depth is way more important than width or height for a saltwater FOWLR or reef. I'm not a fan of bowfronts but it's a much more preferable shape than a long tall thin 55. Though, I love 55s for planted and especially seahorse tanks.

CorallineAlgae said:
Right on. I think depth is way more important than width or height for a saltwater FOWLR or reef. I'm not a fan of bowfronts but it's a much more preferable shape than a long tall thin 55. Though, I love 55s for planted and especially seahorse tanks.

I love bowfronts got a 46 reef and 46 cichlid tank. Next I'm looking for a 155 bf :)

I have a 40b for fw, and i really like it. The width is a plus, since i couldt fit a 4' tank in my room. I also say get the 40, not too many ppl get them, so you could do something different.

I have a 40 and I love it. I'm upgrading to a 125, I bought a 55 for the sump for for that build, and I really can't see how scaping it with rock would look good. It's so thin, also the 55 has that stupid middle brace. Jmoi
Supra

Man, all you guys make pretty valid points for each of the tanks. Though the only reason the 55 is in the mix is because I already have one that is set up as FW at the moment and it would be easier to break that down and change it to saltwater. Decisions...decisions. I think i,m going to lean towards the 40B for now...just due to the fact that I'm a newbie, plus I'm active duty military so I still have a lot of traveling to do before I retire. Easier to move a 40 than a 75.

Back
Top Bottom