55g vs. 75g costs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cokemanj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been doing a lot of research the last few months and I was planning on getting a 55g for FOWLR and maybe add some low to mid light corals later on. I also plan on adding a DIY sump to my setup. I'm trying to keep this from being a very expensive hobby for now so I'm trying to give myself room to grow. My question is, ignoring the actual cost of the tanks, how much more can I expect to pay in supplies and electricity for a 75g vs. a 55g? I've noticed that for a 48" wide tank, the 75g isn't that much bigger. I plan on doing a lot of DIY items such as the sump, LR and the stand. Also, I live in an apartment and might be moving once a year for the next few years so I suppose the extra effort to move the tank that many times must be taken into account as well as potentially cheaper electricity than in a house. Thanks for your help!

Here are some Articles http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_cat.php?fldAuto=2 that may help. Initially the cost of starting is high. Once you are set up, the monthly cost is not that much, other than food, salt mix, and medications and, of course, the cost of new critters. Electricity will depend on your lighting, phs, heaters, pumps, but the main source would be the lights.
Here is another great Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=76139 for starting and maintaing a SW tank.

Excellent reading above!

If you aren't concerned about the cost of the tank its self and are looking for a 48" tank I would go ahead and get a 90g tank that is 48" long. With a FOWLR and some low light corals (mushrooms, some zoos ect) the cost is mainly going to be in your tank purchase. If you were going to have a full blown reef requiring high light then the cost goes up the larger the tank. The 75 or 90 is going to give you more front to back space and a little more height. With a 90 you have more options of fish and that much more water volume. Pumps and power heads are the same price no matter what tank you have. With a couple of Tunze Nano Streams (about $63) you could get all the flow you need, and then adding a sump will increase your water volume and flow that much more. The maintaince cost are going to be pretty close on a monthly basis. If you aren't running MH or other high power consuming lights then you elec cost wont be crazy. I have 570w of light on my tank and several pumps and phs and it cost me about $30 a month to run my tank. The only other cost I have is food and salt mix.

Summary:

If you want a 48" tank go with the 90, it gives you more room to grow!

The jump to 90 gal can be costly if needing to light it for corals but from 55 to 75 it's minor. Also since you plan on moving multiple times in the next couple of years the smaller the tank the better.

The main advantage of the 75 over the 55 is the depth of the tank at 18". This allows tons of options for a DIY sump which the 12" 55 stand does not.

As already mentioned costs are going to be very close with those two tanks. The 90 gal is about 5" higher then the 55/75 and will require stronger lighting for corals which will increase your upfront lighting costs considerably and monthly costs slightly.

Thanks for the advice so far. I've really gotten a lot of good information from here (including those articles roka mentioned). I too think the 90g will be a little more than I am able to handle now, but I didn't know they were the same width. That will give me an option to upgrade later and keep the same stand though. I didn't even think of the sump being easier with the deeper tank, I was mostly thinking of my LR placement. I want to be able to have the LR at the back and some open sand in the front and that would be difficult with only a foot to work with. Plus it will let me re-think some fish that I had to ignore due to size constraints.

So basically, I've got a couple opinions saying the cost difference between the 55g and 75g won't be too much. If anyone else agrees or has something else to add, I'd greatly appreciate the extra feedback.

It is true that the cost diference isn't much between the 2, plus the lighting requirements will be similar if you decide to go reef from FOWLR. I would go with the 75. Like you said you want to have more room to aquascape. I have a 72g Bow and love it! FWIW, moving a tank over about 20g is a pain in the butt so be prepared! I missed your statement about the apartment and moving.

If you are not on the ground floor you may want to check with your property management to see if they will allow a tank at all! There is a lot of weight with even a 55g tank. You can figure on nearly 1000lbs when it's all said and done, tank, water, sand, rock, stand, sump ect. Just a litle food for thought.

Ziggy953 said:
If you are not on the ground floor you may want to check with your property management to see if they will allow a tank at all!
Good point :D I learned the most about structural loads from this article.

I agree with going with the 75. You`ll have more room from front to back. Your start up cost should not be much more starting with the 75 gallon tank. The sump or refuge should help also with the added water volume. Hope all goes well. Welcome to AA

Yeah, I've factored that stuff into the apartment. I am moving in August to a yet to be determined apt, so the tank will be a big factor in where I can go and what floor. But I will have to read that article about structural loads.

Is moving a tank almost too difficult? I read an article somewhere with some step-by-step way to do it. It seems mostly like you just need to pack up each fish carefully and drain water. I'm fine with spending an entire day to move my tank, but I don't want it to be so difficult that I risk losing fish or anything. I had planned on making a new topic with that question one day.

It's not impossible as people do it all the time. The thing is that it stresses the fish and corals out. If your tank is set up for any lenght of time say 8+months and you go to move it when you stir the sand up you will release a lot of nasties into the water. I moved my tank about 2 moths ago, I took all the rock out and saved all the water. I also had a lot of new SW mixed up and ready to go for PWCs. As long as you take your time and do it right with a lot of help you can manage!

As Ziggy said it can be done. Just take your time and do it as stress free as possible. You`ll be OK. When you move let us know and we will post a link for you.

So it's starting to make more sense to do the 75g than the 55g, I will keep checking Craigslist and my LFS's for deals on a 75g.

That's basically what I figured about the moving, that I just need to take the right steps and not rush it. After reading and posting on this board, I've noticed that most of you on here are very helpful and very informative so I will definitely ask before I do any sort of tank move.

cokemanj said:
After reading and posting on this board, I've noticed that most of you on here are very helpful and very informative so I will definitely ask before I do any sort of tank move.
That's what we are here for, and I like lots of questions....and pics...

FWIW I'm relatively new at this insanity (less than a year) and I have a 55 gal. If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone the 75. The difference in start up costs is nominal but you have more of a variety of fish you can keep. As far as moving, it was mentioned before anything over 20 gal is going to be a pain so what's the difference. Definitely go 75 (as long as your apt allows)

Back
Top Bottom