55Gal FW tank to LARGE SW Tank Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh I almost forgot. In a year or so, that 125 or 150 will be small to you.
Lol, thats how i feel about the 55 gallon tank
when i first got it i was like WOW, thats HUGE, my fiancee thought i was insanely HUGE lol, i need some microscopes to look at the 55 gal lol
and YEA it is hard, man it was a pain just moving the 55 gal tank lol, cant imagine how they would even bring that 6ft tank up these stairs
yea i think im going to wait MANNN that sucks

HOWEVER, once i put it in one location im not planning to move it... only down side i would think is that my lease started Jan and planning to renew it after Jan2013 comes around so i wouldnt leave until Jan 2014

i wonder if having all that weight in one spot for 2 yrs would "weaken" it.. i mean i would be against a wall (on the living room wall that divides the living room and Master bedroom on 2nd floor)

Do like I did if the 55 is too small go to a 75 off cl. See if you can find a reef ready tank. I'm selling mine right now as a matter of fact but I'm in Chicago. And start accumulating equipment. A single Vortech pump can cost as much as a tank! Also in this hobby you really get what you pay for. You buy cheap equipment don't expect it to perform for any long time frame if at all.

again, money is not a factor really, i have alot of "Play play Money" and i've always purchased the best of the best i could afford for my pets

just dont wanna Waste money also, meaning buying a Medium Large tank and wanting to purchase a Much Permanent Larger tank...
because i know if i purchase a 75 gal tank i will def be wanting to purchase a larger tank... LOWEST tank i really want is 90 tank Absolut Minimum

BTW any websites that accepts paypal selling a 90-100 gallon tanks just wondering

Gman91189 said:
HOWEVER, once i put it in one location im not planning to move it... only down side i would think is that my lease started Jan and planning to renew it after Jan2013 comes around so i wouldnt leave until Jan 2014

i wonder if having all that weight in one spot for 2 yrs would "weaken" it.. i mean i would be against a wall (on the living room wall that divides the living room and Master bedroom on 2nd floor)

Are you in a newer apartment building? If so the floors are probably spancrete which could hold 2 cars. My buddy's garage floor is spancrete so he actually has another garage under his main one. Pretty cool. If not then you be pushing it on a 125.

NO idea on that info... what about a 90 or 100 gallon tank.. would that ALSO be pushing it?

Gman91189 said:
BTW any websites that accepts paypal selling a 90-100 gallon tanks just wondering

That goes back to the height discussion. 90 has the same footprintas a 75 just 6 inches taller. Basically if u have anything less that a dual 250 w metal halide u can't really keep any corals near the bottom

again money purchasing lighting wouldn't be a problem.. just buy some bigger bulbs.. check...
but im worried about the tank going through my floor or bending floor etc.. dont need any problems with the weight you know...

Find a guy who works there like one of the maintainence (I can't spell) guys and ask him what the floor load is. Like how many pounds per square foot can the floor withstand? 100? 200? 400? My 180 gallon sits on a stand that's 8'8" long by 2'. So I have a foot print of 17.5 sq ft. The tank/stand/rock/water weigh in at 2750 lbs. so I have 157lbs per sq ft of pressure on that exact area. Does all this matter? Yes and no. Floor dead weight is really what you need to know. How much weight can you put there. And include everything else in that room. Sorry for the long response

no no, the longer the better, tryna soak up as much info as possible.
This complex is ran by Elderly people and no maintenance man really, the owners brother comes and fixes a few things if things needs to be fixed.. but i guess i gotta go to the owner/landlord to figure this stuff out..
im guessing before i even think of moving up from a 55gal tank i should figure this stuff out

Good idea. My brother in law is a maintence man and where he lives they don't allow over 40 gal because of water damage issues. You could actually put a 300 gallon tank on the second floor if it wasn't for that. If you could get it up the stairs!

lol yea thats the hardest part getting it up the stairs... not to mention my stairs does a 180 turn midway then a complete 360 turn around
--
l l
l l

(picture above shows a "replica")
up the turn and up again.. suckED just moving the 55 gal tank

If its true I think it's an awesome deal. How often do you get actual rock from the great barrier reef? Never nowadays. That rock is prolly thousands of years old.

That's wat I was thinking, we exchanged a couple emails he won't be back from Asia till June perfect timeline for me
Seems like an awesome deal. Anyone has the link to the tank however? The link he provided doesn't seem to work for me

Saltwater is 10 pounds per gallon rock and sand displace water so take you total Gallons multiply by 10 divide it by your stand base length, and width that contact your floor that's it

Back
Top Bottom