55Gal FW tank to LARGE SW Tank Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Every gallon of water weighs 8.34 lbs so a 100 gallon tank will have 834 lbs of just water....it adds up quick lol

yea so roughly 1400lbs
how could i find out how much weight my floor supports?

First are you renting cause if so speak to the landlord. if not then can you check under the floor say in the basement to see which way the beams are running and the way they are attached and age...either way anything over 1000lbs id brace the floor

If you know a contractor, architect or a building inspector you could ask them. When we built our house all my father and law asked me to do is figure out the max weight for him and he took care of the rest.

Dam, that puts a big wall on my plans, wasn't even thinking about that...
What exactly would i ask my landlord? hey can this 1500lbs fish tank be ok?

Gman91189 said:
Dam, that puts a big wall on my plans, wasn't even thinking about that...
What exactly would i ask my landlord? hey can this 1500lbs fish tank be ok?

No just be like "hey if you notice any ceiling sag or floor rot or even flooding from my apartment, no worries it's just the 1500 lbs of water ive decided to store.". Hah but seriously I'd ask if the floors are rated for a certain weight. Usually there is some built in leeway for that kinda thing but not much. Say a ladder rated to only allow 1 200lb man to be on it will actually hold double that rating but for safety sake it's not allowed to be rated that high. Same idea for floors but less leeway. floors can usually hold dead loads of alot of weight but due to building code and the risk to structural integrity you don't want to push ur luck cuz over time it's going to get weaker. And that would really suck for the 1st floor tenants.

hmm, i c.. well thats good to know at least... well ima ask and see the answer.. and if anything... i'll just wait till i move and make the purchase for the 150gal tank..
no point in purchasing a 90gal tank now, then purchasing another 150gal tank in 2 years...

comes to worst i'll just get started on the 55 gal tank into a saltwater tnk

I would just convert the 55 now. Buy equipment that will be suitable for a tank you have in mind for the future. Ie I bought a skimmer rated for 180 gallons when I had my 75 because I knew I'd be moving up. And get led lighting that's expandable. If you do it right you'll have an amazing tank now and when you move all you have to do is get the tank and some extras.

Oh and tall tanks are not preferred over short tanks with reefs. If u go fowlr it doesn't matter but for reefs you want a big foot print ie LxW. The deeper from front to back the more possibilities there are for aquascaping and more swimming room. If it were me I'd get the deep dimension 300 gal with no lighting cause the LEDs there offer aren't capable of growing much. It 3'x6'x30" I believe. The only thing I'm not too sure is the height. But that foot print is awesome!

DID NOT KNOW THAT

so its best to get a regular 150gal tank vs the XH150gal Tank

and another problem... i BELIEVE i have a glass tank (55) obviously FW and NOT pre drilled... i know i still need to read more.. but isn't it MUCH easier with Pre drilled tank vs non predrilled.. and is it possible for me to do this myself? or should i take this somewhere to get it Drilled

I would just convert the 55 now. Buy equipment that will be suitable for a tank you have in mind for the future. Ie I bought a skimmer rated for 180 gallons when I had my 75 because I knew I'd be moving up. And get led lighting that's expandable. If you do it right you'll have an amazing tank now and when you move all you have to do is get the tank and some extras.

thats good to know.. the 55gal just seems SOoo small, and sucks i wont be able to put as much fish as i would like...
either way tho.. it takes a good 2-3 months to stabilize everything.. next thing i know it'll be time for the 150 gal tank

one downside is tha i was looking forward to getting that ONE tank.. just looks amazing. everything is already set up and Good to go...
still debating wether i should just get like a 125 gal instead.. as its normally safe for 125 gals (obviously would be against a wall also)

but is it worth losing 25 gals and being able to get it in a few months or just convert now and buy pieces suitable for 150gal tank

would it be a problem getting the things Suitable for the 150gal tank now, but Would i have to worry about it being "compatible" with ANY 150gal tank down the road

Typically most lfs can do it but you can as well with a decent drill and the right bit. I drilled 5 holes in a 55 gal sump the lfs wanted 180$ with bulkheads. I got the bit off eBay for 20$ shipped and bulkheads off amazon for 30$. That's 130$ savings.

Most people do the overflow box now if their tank isn't already drilled. Btw you probably won't be able to drill the bottom only the sides and back/front. Bottom is tempered. The overflow box can be bulletproof if set up correctly and saves space in the tank.

Oh and if I had a choice between a 125/150. I'd do the 125 same footprint 5 inches shorter. Or a 180. 6'x2'x2'

yea i understood about 80% about what you said lol, what are bulkheads, if you dont mind.. i know im still a newb.. been reading and already ordered a couple books off of ebay :)
i know i still need to do research.. but still debating and not 100% sure on what to do.. i still am thinking about a 125 gal tank instead of the 150.. i dont think it would be much significant change, not to mention i dont think it would be problems with a 125gal tank

I'm just saying that's what I would do IMHO. If you wait others should chime in on their opinion. I'd stock the crap out of that 55 cause a 100+gallon tank takes a lot to move. Consider buckets water all that.

You can't hurt your system by going overkill on the equipment. The bigger the better. If u want a 150 get a skimmer for 300. It will only allow you more playing room sort to speak.

125 gallon tank will weigh roughly 16-1800 lbs still. Water rock sand the tank itself the lights the sump the water the sump holds. Even pumps weigh 5+ lbs. be smart I know it's hard to stay at a 55. But think about how much effort to move that tank and reset it up. It's a lot. Trust me.

Oh I almost forgot. In a year or so, that 125 or 150 will be small to you.

Back
Top Bottom