55Gal FW tank to LARGE SW Tank Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gman91189

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 55 gal Freshwater tank, i've had it for a couple months now, i know alot about it.. and IMO, seems like FW tank is REALLY easy and honestly kinda boring..
so TODAY i've been looking around at some Saltwater tanks...
budget is not an issue, trying to decide what size tank i should get... been thinking about this one...
Complete Aquarium Kits with Stands: Marineland Monterey Deep Dimension LED Super Systems

lowest i want is a 90gal tank and a max of 250gal.. so yea pretty big variable..
I know pretty much what i need to know about Freshwater tanks.. and again.. seems so easy and SIMPLe to take care of and was looking into a deeper challenge...
I love the different types of fish, coral reefs and looks alot more "natural" then freshwater habitats...
i've only had the freshwater tank for about 2-3 months really, with a ton of research on it... (got a good deal off of craigslist)

what things am i losing/gaining from a smaller or bigger tank..
any extra input would be great...
kind of a newb at saltwater tanks...would like also to know what are the Hardest part of maintaining... tips and advices would be great..

what are some dis advantages/advantages from bigger/smaller tanks (90-150gl)

The more water volume the easier to keep parameters consistent and the larger range of livestock that can be kept but with larger tanks means significantly more money with SW

when you say significantly more money with SW, is it more to upkeep in general, or is it a one time thing...
how much would it generally be to KEEP UP a SW 150gal tank per month?

Well that could vary alot but if its a fowlr then your looking at salt,water,and food for monthly upkeep (not counting power consumption) so maybe $60 a months roughly for normal upkeep...but if you get into a reef then there is periodical bulb replacements that get pricey real quick..once your setup it really isn't much to take care of the tank but the initial startup can be major if on large tanks due to the amount of rock,sand,salt,pumps, and lights(if you plan on a reef at some point which most people do)

If you end up with a FOWLR, then it will be pretty easy and simple like a FW tank.

If you want something challenging, then do a reef or high-lighted planted FW tank.

I'm also considering this marineland setup....any folks that have it would appreciate your thoughts....

Yea, im looking for a reef tank
any things im missing if i get the tank above?

I think its complete, but the price is well into the thousands of dollars. Its fun, challenging, and rewarding if you build a cheaper version that is fully functional.

yea i know, but i use paypal... and basically its "free" for me in a way.. long story.. but i was also looking for a large tank.. like 125gals... plus i also wanted to have the experience of STARTING it from scratch you know...have the experience of "messing" and learning from my mistakes... i think its alot easier to learn if i have the experience of setting it all up instead of just having it ALL made and just handed to me...
not to mention, i live on the 2nd floor and dr fosters delivers and sets it all up...

Gman91189 said:
yea i know, but i use paypal... and basically its "free" for me in a way.. long story.. but i was also looking for a large tank.. like 125gals... plus i also wanted to have the experience of STARTING it from scratch you know...have the experience of "messing" and learning from my mistakes... i think its alot easier to learn if i have the experience of setting it all up instead of just having it ALL made and just handed to me...
not to mention, i live on the 2nd floor and dr fosters delivers and sets it all up...

Be careful setting up a saltwater tank that size on a 2nd floor

Ya sw is cool for sure but I know u mentioned that freshwater doesn't look as natural so you got bored. I had that problem with fw as well with all the fake decor until I decided to scrap my freshwater and do a fully planted tank. Mine is low tech for the most part but you should definately look into some high-tech fw planted or brackish tanks. Very natural and I don't think you'd get disappointed by the challenge. Not anywhere close to sw from what I hear but still a step up!

how would i be able to calculate the weight distribution?

Back
Top Bottom