55gal newbie / advice needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishscale

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

What road should I take? What works in your 40-65gal setup, and what advice would you give? Mainly Id like to know what light requirements
you would recommend for expandability? I dont plan on keeping difficult stock but diversity is important to me.

I have read numerous posts and such but haven't found any of this info in the same place for easy review.

Unfortunately I am normally reading all over the place and rarely bookmark needed posts and such, though I promise im working hard to change my ways!
So any links to previous posts are appreciated and will be reviewed. I will post my collection and progress to hopefully help some others out as well.

I recently purchased a 55gal glass tank w/stand. Beautiful in itself! That said, I am ready for the next step.
What I really need is a local saltie for a tutor but, you guys are a step above IMO...

Id really like to know what you would do over or maybe should have done, being in my shoes again?
Would also like to say I deeply appreciate any help/advice, and I guess mainly Im lookin to hear what types of setups have had good results
in the 40-65gal range. (Equip /light /trace & maint. /stock /ect..)
Not tring to start a 'which is best thread', but I would like to know what you guys are using or recommend.

My goal
-------------------------------------------------------
Stable environment for the entire aquarium
To take it slow and do things right from the beginning.
And eventually being able to help others (I would love to eventually be able to give back... thanks guys)

With that said i currently have two requirements:
1. The funds are around < 500$ as I already bought the tank/stand ~ this is just a start for the first 6-8mo.
2. And as usual the 'as close to possible' stable environment for my new system.

I have a long list of things to buy, but Im currently concerned about the basics. This will be a very long process
and I dont want to skimp on or overlook anything at this point.
First off I went ahead purchased 110gal RO from LFS, which I was told would last well past the first cycle
plus a calculated amount for several water changes when kept well.

I will start with LS and LR ending up with just a few for stock as the cleanup crew awhile after first cycle. After the system has had its 1st cycle / stabilized
for several months and I feel comfortable maintaining the system, I will probably want to get a few clams and other high maintenance life. ~ I dream of one day when...
Anyhow sorry for the long post and forgive me Im still learning all the abbreviations.

Probably should have posted in a diff forum, but being this is my first post and im a newb... to be sure some of you when starting out were just as excited at times.

Thanks guys,
-Fishscale

edit-
I guess Im really asking alot, but as it is im going around and the posts that interest me and noting the sig's and what ppl are using. -its there!
Im just tring to pull the resource to one post I guess. Should rename topic to 'post your setup'.
Before the setup and up to date pics will follow
091006ru8.jpg

The old 55 question trick,huh :wink: 55 gallon is a good starting size. You posted in right forum. After reading your goal, I think your plan is a good one. Read the articles posted on this website esp. the one on cycling. Do not use live fish as your LFS might suggest. Do it the humane way. But IMO I would throw the water, LR,LS in and start your cycle. Then keep posting your results and we will be there to help.

If that is an under gravel filter, you may want to remove it. Some still use them, but they are kind of outdated and could cause problems.
If you are looking to save some money, you can mix base rock with LR. Find aragonite sand, Home Depot/Lowes or even Wal-Mart might have it, really cheap, (this product seems to really be on the East Coast).
I don't have clams, so I can't help you on lighting.
I think you will find the cost might be high to get it set up, but the monthly cost is not too much.

Yes I did not see that in the pic as Roka is right in that dont use an under gravel filter system. Will cause lots of excessive nutrients in your tank causing plenty of bad algeas.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah thats an old pic of when I first got it, the first thing I did was take out the undergravel filter trays.
I think I will mix LS with aragonite, the hardware store has it pretty cheap. Im still looking around the forum to see how many lbs per gal. of LR others are using.
The hood only holds two 55w bulbs. I know they make those same bulbs in 65 watts each also but they will not work because the ballast is only rated up to 110 watts. I think I may have to get a light strip or look at a diff setup altogether. I got a really good deal on the tank though. I just went and got some misc stuff..
lots of it actually, to mark off the list. In total it will be around $1200 spent just to get started after I find the LR that Im looking for. :(
Double what I planned to spend, I think I will have to look at shopping online for the rest of the stuff I need. After spending $130 for water I may have to look at making my own. The only LFS without driving across town is a Petsmart and IME they havent always been the most helpful when giving advice. Thanks for listening guys and when Im all setup Id like to start a new thread with pics of each step and the links to the posts that helped me the most for each part.

how many lbs per gal. of LR others are using.
Quite a few folks like to have 1.5-2LBs of LR per gallon, for the best natural filtration.
After spending $130 for water I may have to look at making my own.
Ouch! I make mine. I premix for at least 24 hours. Set the bucket in the bath tub on Friday night, add ph, heater and salt and let simmer!
when Im all setup Id like to start a new thread with pics of each step and the links to the posts that helped me the most for each part.
Sounds like a great idea!
I bought 160LBs of salt for $31.99, from:
drsfosterandsmith.com

Back
Top Bottom