55gal stock ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Eeks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55gal tank, as shown with just 2 clowns in it. They have been living happily there for about 2 months now. I think it is time I want to add more animals. In the second picture you can see my sand is getting kinda brown in areas. Possibly uneaten food that is decomposing? I don't have any critters that sift the sand and think my next investment would be something of a cleanup crew? I'm open to suggestions, but what I was thinking is maybe some snails, shrimps, crabs, a starfish might be cool. Of course there is fish that do the sand sifting too. Which leads me to my next question I have a QT and the clowns were QT'd for 4-5 weeks before going to main tank, I understand QTing fish for their parasites, what about a clean up crew? I don't really wanna set it all up and go thru the hassle for a few snails, but I don't even know if it is even necessary to QT a CUC. I've done some searching online, haven't found much that discusses this.

As far as other fish I would LIKE to have at some point would be a wrasse, flasher or fairy, Regal Tang (big enough tank you think, every site says a different minimum tank size), a angel (perhaps a coral beauty, flame or rust), then there are some blennies and gobies that I like. Just ideas floating around.

KusbByC.jpg

R1nRxfT.jpg

Anyway thanks for the help guys/gals!

I've never qt'd snails. Never had any issues doing it that way. Maybe others have different opinions. As far as an angel, I would get the flame. They are very brightly colored and would be a great addition. Especially with only being able to get one in that tank without them fighting.

Tank is to small for a regal. Do one of the dwarfs instead. I like flames or bicolors. I have never quarantined cuc either. I don't see why you would have to.

Thanks for the replies. Looking at picking up a CUC in the very near future, after Christmas perhaps? So trying to do a little research and plan ahead a little. At this point I am kind of undecided about maintaining any corals, if I said I was what would be your idea about an angel, most people from what I've read say nope, but there are a few threads I've seen people say certain ones, and it is really dependent on the individual angel you get. I still might try it. I would however like an anemone. Is there any compatibility issues with any specific types of fish(of the ones I listed) or inverts with them? I wouldn't be looking into an anemone for a least a few more months to get the tank more established. And compatibility among the CUC themselves like X crab or X shrimp can't be held in the same tank. Or or starfish I don't want a starfish that will reach out and grab my clowns or any other fish I later decided to add just because he wants a snack. Also urchins? Keep way from them with the fish I had listed you think?
Thanks for the help guys!

Thanks for the replies. Looking at picking up a CUC in the very near future, after Christmas perhaps? So trying to do a little research and plan ahead a little. At this point I am kind of undecided about maintaining any corals, if I said I was what would be your idea about an angel, most people from what I've read say nope, but there are a few threads I've seen people say certain ones, and it is really dependent on the individual angel you get. I still might try it. I would however like an anemone. Is there any compatibility issues with any specific types of fish(of the ones I listed) or inverts with them? I wouldn't be looking into an anemone for a least a few more months to get the tank more established. And compatibility among the CUC themselves like X crab or X shrimp can't be held in the same tank. Or or starfish I don't want a starfish that will reach out and grab my clowns or any other fish I later decided to add just because he wants a snack. Also urchins? Keep way from them with the fish I had listed you think?
Thanks for the help guys!

Well most angels will destroy lps corals but leave most softies and sps corals alone. It really depends on the individual angel if it will eat coral or not. Shrimp wise coral banded will kill other shrimp but most other shrimp mix fine. Um urchins are great! I have a blue tuxedo and he is awesome to watch. Serpent stars are the best choice IMO for some type of star, they are peaceful and will snag leftover food super quickly. They clean up dead stuff quickly as well.

Well I decided on a few inverts the other day. I got 1 peppermint shrimp, 3 turbo snails, and a sand sifting sea star. The snails have been quite active moving from one end of tank to the other...every time I look at them they have changed position. The peppermint shrimp has basically done nothing but hide in my rock formations, heard these guys are pretty shy? The sea star I basically dropped him in, he promptly buried himself, I dug him up to see that he was still alive, like a day later, he was, shuffled 3-4 inches in left and then again to the right and proceeded to bury himself again, and there have been no signs that he has since moved from that spot.

Back
Top Bottom