5gal refugium enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serpentman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm full of questions tonight. I have just completed my (15g) sump system and plan on firing it up in the morning (too tired tonight). There wasn't enough room in the sump itself so I built a DIY refugium next to it. Unfortunately, in order to have enough room under the tank to incorporate an auto-fill system, I had to go with a 5g fuge. It seems pretty small when compared to the size of the parent tank (92g). Will this even be worth it?

Also, can you add macroalgae to a refugium during cycle?

I would think a refuge of *any* size that you can grow pods or cheato in or whatever you were into, would be worth it. If you have the room for 5gal, thats what you use. Me, I'm only going to have a 3 gallon fuge, but I'm doing it because I think the benifits are worth it.

Serpentman said:
Also, can you add macroalgae to a refugium during cycle?
I’d hold off till your tank cycles IMO.

The 5 gal is fine, anything is better then nothing. Do you have it higher then your sump with water being pumped into it and having it gravity feed back into the sump?

Its lined up even with the sump with a siphon return. I thought about taking the tank to have the glass drilled, then raising it and having the return gravity fed.

Back
Top Bottom