Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
stingrays4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Newbury Berks UK
Posts: 796
6 foot marine possibly?

Hi thanks to Nu Nu the eel,he has got me thinking about my new tank which I collected last Friday. Basically as the tank is in a shed I always said i wouldn't have marines out there as they are too expensive? But I got thinking and was wondering if I could do it more simple making it cheaper?
I am not new to marines but haven't had marines for a few years now,so need some assistance in deciding if this is possible?
My thoughts are to base the tank on a lower level part of the reef,so would exclude light loving corals. Also would be a slower flow. Thinking base of the reef,on the land side of a reef. This would mean slower flow and generally smaller fish possibly?
Firstly the tank is - 72 inches long,by 18 inches wide by 24 inches deep.
I guess R/O water is mandatory?
Low light? Two T8 tubes?
Protein skimmer? An essential item?
External filter{s}I currently have two ready for use on this tank.
Circulation pumps? I am thinking not too high a turn over?
I would have live rock.
Thinking two options - small fish and a few shrimps and a C & C or a oddball type set up, with say a trigger, a moray and a lion fish possibly?
Also obviously a refractometer,salt and test kits
Thanks for reading and any advice
Photo added of the tank {currently empty}
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	with shelving (Large).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	135491  
__________________

__________________
stingrays4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Nu-Nu the eel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingrays4
Hi thanks to Nu Nu the eel,he has got me thinking about my new tank which I collected last Friday. Basically as the tank is in a shed I always said i wouldn't have marines out there as they are too expensive? But I got thinking and was wondering if I could do it more simple making it cheaper?
I am not new to marines but haven't had marines for a few years now,so need some assistance in deciding if this is possible?
My thoughts are to base the tank on a lower level part of the reef,so would exclude light loving corals. Also would be a slower flow. Thinking base of the reef,on the land side of a reef. This would mean slower flow and generally smaller fish possibly?
Firstly the tank is - 72 inches long,by 18 inches wide by 24 inches deep.
I guess R/O water is mandatory?
Low light? Two T8 tubes?
Protein skimmer? An essential item?
External filter{s}I currently have two ready for use on this tank.
Circulation pumps? I am thinking not too high a turn over?
I would have live rock.
Thinking two options - small fish and a few shrimps and a C & C or a oddball type set up, with say a trigger, a moray and a lion fish possibly?
Also obviously a refractometer,salt and test kits
Thanks for reading and any advice
Photo added of the tank {currently empty}
Hi james! If you want to keep it as cheap as possible i would suggest you leave out the soft corals. If you want soft corals i think you could get some cheap power conpacts or something that would suffice. For a tank this large you would definitly get a protein skimmer... And for that you will need to make a sump. Its not that hard, but it will take a bit of time and money to do. You would probably need a few good sized powerheads for the fish in the tank. I like your stocking ideas though! You could use the filters as well, the more the better ro water is necessary as well
__________________

__________________
Nu-Nu the eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
stingrays4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Newbury Berks UK
Posts: 796
Hi thanks Nu Nu the eel So a protein skimmer is a definate Any recommendations? Also any thoughts any one else? Hi I am thinking no corals? Although would 'leather' corals go in?
__________________
stingrays4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
obscurereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,301
Awesome. An FOWLR would be way cheaper and with some cheap lights you could prob. get away with some leather corals and mushrooms. Urchins are good for cleaning the algae especially in a FOWLR where in some cases most of the inverts will be picked on/eaten. Would love to see the progress on this!
__________________
“Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Beengirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,308
If you get away from the corals, maybe do a deep water tank? I've never looked into it too much, but I've heard of people doing this. You could research deep water saltwater fish and see if its possible. I've seen some pretty ones on liveaquaria.com that re deepwater.
It would need to be low light and slightly cooler temp of course, but there are some pretty and unusual fish in deep waters. The down side is that they're not gonna be $5-20 each, more like $50 each. But corals can cost that much too, so it's a trade off. And you wouldn't have the lighting expense. Just a suggestion.
__________________
Beengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
stingrays4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Newbury Berks UK
Posts: 796
Hi thanks for all the comments so far I am getting more and more tempted with a FOWLR
Thoughts so far - Living rock - how much? 1 kilo per 10 litres?{is that about right?} 500 litre tank = 50 kilos? Cost wise
Salt - any recommended makes?
Refractometer or hydrometer?
Externals - what do I put in them? I'm thinking sponges in one and some chemical absorbing media in the other one?
Fish Think that one can wait for now
__________________
stingrays4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Psychocircus91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingrays4 View Post
Hi thanks for all the comments so far I am getting more and more tempted with a FOWLR
Thoughts so far - Living rock - how much? 1 kilo per 10 litres?{is that about right?} 500 litre tank = 50 kilos? Cost wise
Salt - any recommended makes?
Refractometer or hydrometer?
Externals - what do I put in them? I'm thinking sponges in one and some chemical absorbing media in the other one?
Fish Think that one can wait for now
For live rock get a very little amount and a bunch of vase rock. Saves lots of money
__________________
75 Gallon Reef
Psychocircus91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
stingrays4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Newbury Berks UK
Posts: 796
Talking

Hi thanks for the info. the Living rock is rather expensive but seems to form the basis for most systems. This project is also looking very likely to get past - just thinking about it the final decision will be this weekend
__________________
stingrays4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Psychocircus91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingrays4 View Post
Hi thanks for the info. the Living rock is rather expensive but seems to form the basis for most systems. This project is also looking very likely to get past - just thinking about it the final decision will be this weekend
Sorry meant base rock. It will turn live over time
__________________
75 Gallon Reef
Psychocircus91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
stingrays4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Newbury Berks UK
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychocircus91 View Post
Sorry meant base rock. It will turn live over time
Hi thanks,I did wonder
__________________

__________________
stingrays4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
marine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.