Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-03-2003, 01:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

6-line Wrasse gone

I was away for 2 days and when I returned my aquarium was at 65 degrees because somehow my heater got unplugged. Everything in my tank survived, but I can't find my 6line wrasse. Is it possible that the temperature change could have killed him? If that's the case, it would have probably went into one of my liverocks to sleep and died in there. Although I've tried to use a turkey baster to blow a current into the main caves in the rock where he usually sleeps, but nothing was washed out. Is it possible that over 2 days my coral banded shrimp could have eaten him?

"So..what's YOUR game?"
Stoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 01:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have hermits in addition to the coral banded? It's very possible that they ate the wrasse...

Old 11-03-2003, 01:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had a x mas wrasse that dissapeared for two days and was hiding in my sand bed. Hopefully yours will turn up!
Old 11-03-2003, 02:55 PM   #4

PrettyFishies, Yes, I do have 3 scarlet hermits and 1 blue hermet in addition to the shrimp.

"So..what's YOUR game?"
Old 11-03-2003, 05:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've seen CB shrimp gobble down dead things that would gag a vulture (dead clams), so never discount these walking garbage cans.

The six line is a tough fish though, and I don't think they are prone to jumping. Gobies on the other hand can usually be found underneath the couch on the other side of the room. That is, if you don't have a cat, in which case you often find a dried fish in your sock drawer (long story). A short period at 65F shouldn't hurt the six line though.

Worse case scenario is he crawled into some live rock and died in a place the scavengers can't reach. I'd get a strong flash light and check every nook and crevice (including intakes of power-heads) to be sure. The loss of a single fish is frustrating enough. A tank crash is far worse......
Old 11-03-2003, 09:09 PM   #6

Good news! I found it. It was swimming around in the small box where the intake for my refugium is. He was NOT happy, but at least he's alive. I don't know why I didn't check there before, probably because it was very unlikely. He must have jumped in, that's the only way. Anyway, nevermind!

"So..what's YOUR game?"
Old 11-04-2003, 02:52 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

A happy ending!
Old 11-04-2003, 04:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to notmuffy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wseaton
I've seen CB shrimp gobble down dead things that would gag a vulture (dead clams), so never discount these walking garbage cans.

The six line is a tough fish though, and I don't think they are prone to jumping. Gobies on the other hand can usually be found underneath the couch on the other side of the room. That is, if you don't have a cat, in which case you often find a dried fish in your sock drawer (long story). A short period at 65F shouldn't hurt the six line though.
LOL
wow I'd like to live a day in your shoes, you sound like you have an exciting life!
Old 11-04-2003, 01:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow glad you found your fish, ours jumped out and I found him stiff on the floor Won't be getting any wrasses again.

Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
line, wrasse

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com