60 gallon acrylic tank drain/flow/size etc... help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beetlejuice

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
starting to put my 60 gallon together and everyday there is something new I overlooked. I want to do this right so I dont waste my time and money. Any help is greatly appreciated.

So here is what I have so far. The tank I have had a return drilled in the top left corner and an intake drilled on the bottom right corner. Both fitted for 3/4 in bulkheads. I will be running a 750gph pump in the sump back to the return. With the tank having a hole drilled near the bottom for the intake I plan on installing a internal overflow box (mainly in the case of the bulkhead ever leaking and draining the entire tank out) Using a few online calculators I get these numbers...

Gallons per Hour = 750
Drain and Overflow sizes are calculated as
Recommended minimum drain pipe diameter = 1.13 inches
Recommended minimum linear overflow size = 11 inches
So with this new info I plan on drilling a new hole above/ to the side (depending on the size of the hole) the the old intake. So plan on going with a 1 1/4 inch bulkhead for the new intake size(?) Ok not really to lost here.

I get lost when I see Linear overflow size of 11inches
The overflow box I plan on putting in will be to pieces of black acrylic. First piece measuring 4 5/8 inches and the second measuring 9 inches. BOTH 17 1/4 inches tall. This should give me 13 5/8 inches of Linear Overflow. Awesome right. Then I realized that the stencils I have cut out have teeth cut into them like every other overflow box I have seen. Here lies the root of my newest problem. The length I measure with teeth is 3 inches. ??? considering that is what Linear Overflow means. Please help...Thanks

Back
Top Bottom