60 gl salt water ( first time and need advice)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flyingbulldog

Aquarium Advice Regular
Building up a 60 gallon tank, purchased off CL and it was a fresh water. Looking to purchase a Ro/DI unit, external sump, sump, skimmer and mag7 pump.

Purchased Fuji/ tongs rocks, purchased for $3//2 a pound. I set up the rocks( pictures are in my profile). They were in water with a Skimmer. I set up the rocks and left in the sun to clean or kill the LR. Thinking about putting in a bucket with water and bleach? ( might be over kill)

Going to buy the unit and feel the tank with salt ( purchased @ fish store), and run the filters that were with the tank until I find hook up the sump tank. The filter is an emperor bio-wheel w/carbon filters. Not sure if this is a good idea?

Attachments

• image-3483227370.jpg
    image-3483227370.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 70
  • image-4218026282.jpg
    image-4218026282.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 81
Looks good, my only suggestion would be to paint the back before you add the water. A couple coats of spray paint will do the job, and will hide all those tubes and wires you'll have later. :)

Yes, I was thinking of getting material to place behind the glass.. Not sure about spray paint?

Flyingbulldog said:
Yes, I was thinking of getting material to place behind the glass.. Not sure about spray paint?

The only reason I suggest spray paint is that it's cheap, quick and easy. The backgrounds that get taped on will have water run between it and the glass, the water evaporates but the salt stays there and eventually it gets to look messy with a bunch of salt dried to the tank between the glass and background. And it's difficult to get to with the background there. Just a suggestion. :)

I did mine with regular acrylic paint and a cheap roller... But yeah definitly paint background would look better

Kopitar said:
I did mine with regular acrylic paint and a cheap roller... But yeah definitly paint background would look better

Yeah, roller would work too. I did 1 tank with spray paint, the other with roller. Spray paint was definitely easier and quicker, though. Less choice of colors with spray, though.

Yeah only reason i chose roller is i heard its way easier to take off in case one day u decide to change color or sell tank but not sure if true

Beengirl said:
The only reason I suggest spray paint is that it's cheap, quick and easy. The backgrounds that get taped on will have water run between it and the glass, the water evaporates but the salt stays there and eventually it gets to look messy with a bunch of salt dried to the tank between the glass and background. And it's difficult to get to with the background there. Just a suggestion. :)

I got some adhesive to put on the tank to help bachdrop stick. Anyone have experience with this?

+1 for spray painting the back of the tank. I did mine that way and it came out great. Just tape up the sides of the tank so you don't get over spray on it. Pretty simple and it looks much better than that taped on stuff

Beengirl said:
No. Sorry, never used it.

The one they sell at the local petshop is really good a lo messy and pain in the but to put on but once it's all done it looks great frontwise sideways or w.e way u look at it highly recommend half the tube was used for my 75g

Back
Top Bottom