Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2011, 12:25 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lol very true. I plan on keeping off the lights for some time to keep it down and allow the coroline algae to grow. Im hoping a good cuc and a lawnmower blenny will help control it. I just don't really have the extra cash to buy an Ro/di unit. And it's a little hard and expensive overtime to buy Ro water.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Coralline algae needs light to grow as well, so that won't work. Plus the nutrients will still be in the water, so you'd just be delaying the algae explosion.

I spent $100 on an RO/DI off ebay. So far I'm pleased with it. Just gotta remember to stop filtering water before bed! lol

Here is a good article on why you should use RO/DI water. http://www.melevsreef.com/why_rodi.html

Old 03-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would totally agree withe the article. I would love to have the extra cash to get an Ro unit but I just don't have the extra cash. Starting a tank from scratch is pretty expensive lol. I started out thinking about $300 was good for a start tank.... But when I went out to pick out a tank I saw the 60 and could not turn it down. Fml. Hahaha so far I am in about $600ish and I still need a protein skimmer and 2 powerhead for circulation. All I can say is it's well worth the cost.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:01 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm only a month ahead of you. IMHO the protein skimmer can wait, depending on what other filtration you have.

My recommendation is to skip out on the skimmer for now, get your RODI and do it right. Meanwhile, your tank is cycling and you can save up for a skimmer. You don't need the skimmer for cycling, and since you're using all base rock, your cycle will likely take longer than mine did. It still took me 3 weeks to cycle.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:05 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok. Just thought of something. Is I ok to go ahead to fill it with. Tap for the initial fill. Then purchase a Ro unit when I he extra cash and do pwc with Ro water? Overtime will that work? Because I am planning on filling it This time next week.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:11 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

It would be better than just using tap water. Just a heads up though, I'm using RO/DI water and I have some hair algae trying to show up already.

As I said earlier - I'm only a month ahead of you as far as setting everything up. Take a look around and find something you don't use and sell it on craigslist. This hobby is a lot more expensive than I'd anticipated, so I sold some stuff.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:17 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Haha yeah I totally wish I would have got into this like 3 year ago. Ok so this I a little off topic but I play guitar an have a Hal stack... Well the tank and the half stack are in the same room. I wouldn't think loud sound would affect the tank but thought I would ask. Does loud sound affect fish in an aquarium? If so looks like I will have to keep the volume down when playing.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:20 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would assume that depends more on the specific fish. But i'd be lying if I said I knew.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:23 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah I don't want to be totally rocking out and look over and see all my fish dead that would suck.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:06 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Loud sounds are not gonna kill the fish, but stress will! Loud sounds stress the fish which may kill it. You would never place your tank on top of the speaker bc of the sound waves irritating the water. Well, same thing happeneds in an enclosed room (eg basement), the sound waves are hitting the water and stressing the fish. Playing the guitar next to the fish is not bad, but playing heavy metal with ear breaking volume is
Use your judgement, but please be reasonable.

Me personally: switch to violin and play some Vivaldi LOL

Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
60 gallon, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com